Cooler too close to PSU ? - A little advice?

Malux

Hey all, First post!

I have a pentium D 3.0Ghz, 4 Gigs of ram, and a thermaltake W0317RU 700 W power supply. Motherboard is intel D945PVS. Case is Coolermaster Cavalier. Video is HIS 4850 ICEQ4 Turbo

I was getting annoyed with the loud stock CPU cooler so I installed a Scythe Zipang 2 CPU cooler. I took the mobo out and installer the cooler making sure the pins clicked in correctly (which I was able to see at the bottom). I also followed all the instructions on how to install thermal paste etc. I even tied up my unused wires.

I have the following concerns and need a little advice:

1. The fins for the cooler are right up against the fan for the PSU. There's barely any clearance between them. Are they too close? Could i be causing damage to the PSU ?

2. The CPU runs hot: 50-55C at idle (after logging in and just letting the computer do simple tasks); At load we're talking 60-65C. I'm starting to think the mobo is not correctly reporting the temps. I just can't imagine it being that hot.

I'm wondering if i shouldn't just go to a full tower case to get more clearance between the mobo and PSU. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Malux

If it isn't touching, you should be fine!

i'll take pics just in case. I'm probably fine and am just being paranoid. Btw, do you have a recommendation on OCing this cpu?

Prescott core pentiums run hot but prescott core celerons run extremely cool, but it has a significantly reduced cache. My Celeron D 320 @ 2.88Ghz runs 45C under load with the stock heatsink.