Overclocking AMD HELP!

I tried overclocking my AMD x2 64 7750 kuma black edition dual core. I started off by raising the multiplier 1x at a time raised my FSB from 200 to 205 and fed my vcore 1.5 power. (15.5 x 205 w/ 1.5voltage)

I was able to boot sucessfully after i overclocked my CPU to 3.2ghz but after shutting down my pc, i could not boot it up... all i got was a black screen.

My question is: did i do something wrong in the overclocking process?

Note: I tried something else. I can raise my FSB to about 245 and not touching the multiplier, which will be 245 x 13.5 multiplier giving me 3.3ghz. When i raise my FSB and leave my multiplier on Auto, it boots up fine.

My 2nd question: is it considered overclocking when you only raise the FSB without touching the multiplier?

Help and support please :)

Edited by CJBizzy

Yes, that is considered "overclocking". In fact, most chips have locked multipliers so you CAN'T overclock them using the multi.

Also, yes you did do something wrong. You didn't do any stability testing. You can't just pick some settings, see if it boots and go on your merry way. You have to test your settings and see if they stand up to stress. Your problem is that your settings obviously were unstable and that's why the wouldn't boot.

You should download some stress test programs like OCCT, Prime95 and SuperPi. Then you should put things back to stock speeds and start by raising your settings SLOWLY. Either multi or FSB, but only one at a time. When you raise it (A LITTLE BIT), run a stability test. If it passes, move on and raise it a bit more. Eventually, when it fails, it means you need more voltage. So give it A LITTLE BIT more and then try the same test again.

This is how you overclock and the key, as you can tell by my capitalization, is taking SMALL steps. By doing so, you ensure that you never end up with big problems like yours right now. Small overclocking changes lead to small problems. We can handle small problems. Big overclocking changes mean big problems, and those are much harder to deal with and can even cause damage if you're not careful.

Also, are you monitoring your temps?

yes i am checking my cpu temperature every time i boot up just to make sure it doesnt overheat.

thanks for your tips and suggestions now i understand a bit more about overclocking. I'll download the suggested test programs and try overclocking from there.