Replacing Stock NB Heatsink (Help)

KK_

ive just relised the northbridge can be replaced on motherboards. and ive decided to get a new cooler for it , since its good to have it nice and cool :D

heres the one i can buy quiet cheap , looks like it will drop temps a soild 10-20deg

LINK

anyone had experience swaping out there NB heatsinks for somthing better?

anythink lurking in the shadows that could ruin my gaming PC?

Yeah, I've replaced a few with no problems. The main thing to keep in mind is that if they're not passive, they're going to have tiny little fans on them and tiny little fans make high-pitched annoying whines most of the time. My VC-RE that I put on my nf4 SLI-DR was quiet enough at first, but after about a year it got pretty whiny.

The only other thing to consider is if it's going to interfere with anything else. Sometimes a bigger northbridge cooler can get in the way of a video card or something like that, so take a good look at your board and make sure that's not the case for you before you order, because the one you're looking at certainly is tall.

Yeah, I've replaced a few with no problems. The main thing to keep in mind is that if they're not passive, they're going to have tiny little fans on them and tiny little fans make high-pitched annoying whines most of the time. My VC-RE that I put on my nf4 SLI-DR was quiet enough at first, but after about a year it got pretty whiny.

The only other thing to consider is if it's going to interfere with anything else. Sometimes a bigger northbridge cooler can get in the way of a video card or something like that, so take a good look at your board and make sure that's not the case for you before you order, because the one you're looking at certainly is tall.

its got a good 2cm fromNB to my gfx , and about 1cm to my cpu stock heatsink .

lol , its why smart people invented headphones and music .

the 4870 i have gets upto about 5300rpm , sounds like a tiny jet is in my PC

i was just guna try get a 40mm fan and use a ziptie to hold it on , but i doubt il find a 40mm fan in NZ for cheap :P