Gateway GT4022 new motherboard

Hello everybody,

I have this Gateway GT4022 computer with a dead motherboard.. I would like to buy a new motherboard to get the computer working again :thumbs-up: . The original motherboard/case is btx :angry2:.. Now I'm looking to get a new motherboard, and use the original parts from the computer. The motherboard is socket 939 with ddr 400/333 ram 1 pci express x16 slot, I guess I won't use the case since it's btx so I can get a ATX psu.

Here's a cheap motherboard I've been looking at. I don't need anything crazy just need a motherboard that has integrated video/sound that will work with the other parts/without case. I need a cpu heatsink also. I've looked on newegg and Tigerdirect, they don't have 939 motherboards (from my basic searching)

http://3btech.net/as93so939maw3.html

Why do you need a heatsink? Don't you already have one with your current setup?

939 is going to be a real mess to try to get parts for. People are going to charge you a lot more than they're worth just because people like you are trying to keep those systems alive rather than just admitting they should be scrapped.

By the time you find the parts you need, you may be better off just building a cheap AM2 system. You could get a cheap dual core CPU, cheap mobo, and cheap ram for probably less than $150. I know that's still a good chunk of cash, but when you look at all the hassle of trying to limp a 939 system along just a bit further, I'm just not really convinced it's worth it.

At this point, I say don't put any more money into 939. Use it while it works and when it finally dies, just replace it outright.

939 is going to be a real mess to try to get parts for. People are going to charge you a lot more than they're worth just because people like you are trying to keep those systems alive rather than just admitting they should be scrapped.

By the time you find the parts you need, you may be better off just building a cheap AM2 system. You could get a cheap dual core CPU, cheap mobo, and cheap ram for probably less than $150. I know that's still a good chunk of cash, but when you look at all the hassle of trying to limp a 939 system along just a bit further, I'm just not really convinced it's worth it.

At this point, I say don't put any more money into 939. Use it while it works and when it finally dies, just replace it outright.

+1. It would be better to invest in a modern setup which would last longer and perform better then revive your current rig.

For example here in NZ 2x1GB (2GB total) of branded (eg. Corsair or Mushkin) DDR-400 RAM will go for over NZ$100 ($US50 approx) used and at least NZ$150 (US$75 approx) new. You can easily get 2x1GB DDR2-800 of Super Talent or Corsair RAM new for less than NZ$70 (US$35 approx)! It's much better to buy new and save in the long run now, then face a huge hassle and inflated prices for old parts.

The motherboard link has one for 54$ that I've been looking at and that would work perfectly fine. Some other motherboards are around that price too that would work well for me. Heatsinks that I've seen on newegg are around 20$ iirc. I only need those two parts. I need a heatsink because the heatsink with this gateway, the fan like is perpendicular with the case or something and the air goes over the processor. The heatsink also connects with the case (I know i can use a backplate but I would just rather want a new one) I only need those 2 parts. Thank you for reply!

Edited by MisFiT_

+1. It would be better to invest in a modern setup which would last longer and perform better then revive your current rig.

For example here in NZ 2x1GB (2GB total) of branded (eg. Corsair or Mushkin) DDR-400 RAM will go for over NZ$100 ($US50 approx) used and at least NZ$150 (US$75 approx) new. You can easily get 2x1GB DDR2-800 of Super Talent or Corsair RAM new for less than NZ$70 (US$35 approx)! It's much better to buy new and save in the long run now, then face a huge hassle and inflated prices for old parts.

I have the ram and everything already I just need a new heatsink (I've seen prices around 20$ and a motherboard around 50$) I'm willing to spend around 70 bucks to keep it alive jajajjaja. Thank you for your reply!

hold on there, misfit

i have a similar gateway computer (specs in sig) that uses btx design

did your computer have a green shroud for directing airflow?

did the heatsink look like this? http://www.cwc-group.com/8008526.html

if so, how do you remove the heatsink from the mobo?

does it use a backplate?

sorry for the mass of questions,

i need to get new fans and cpu heatsink for my computer :|

hold on there, misfit

i have a similar gateway computer (specs in sig) that uses btx design

did your computer have a green shroud for directing airflow?

did the heatsink look like this? http://www.cwc-group.com/8008526.html

if so, how do you remove the heatsink from the mobo?

does it use a backplate?

sorry for the mass of questions,

i need to get new fans and cpu heatsink for my computer :|

Lol it's ok. Yea looks exactly like all of that and uses a green little thing for the airflow. It's a GT4022 gateway. The heatsink attaches to the case and it doesn't have a backplate.

To remove the heatsink from the mobo, just slide and pull out the green duct thing (the fan) and then just take the power wire that connects to the motherboard from the fan off. Then just unscrew the 4 screws that connect the heatsink to the case then voila! Just like a normal heatsink process.