Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking Question(s)

reddot

Hello there OC!

This is my current setup:

Intel Core i7 920 running at stock settings.

6GB DDR3-trich RAM (Patriot Viper) 1333MHz, with XMT (still didnt enable XMT)

GTX 260 with 2GB RAM, OC'd

720Watt Corsair PSU

P6T Motherboard (not deluxe, just the little brother)

CPU is cooled by the Noctua 1366, so I am definitely alright for some moderate OC'ing.

My OC goal is 3.0-3.2GHz.

I have been reading some tutorials, watched videos etc. I still want to make sure I have it right in my head by verifying it with you guys.

In order to get 3.1 GHz I need to change my bclk to 155 (assuming my multiplier is 20x, and it is). What should I change after this? Should I leave it on auto, since it is a very minor overclock. Shall I enable XMT after that?

I am also making all the changes through BIOS not the OC utility through OS.

I understand final tweaking will come down to me, as each hardware piece of unique in some sense and will produce different results.

However I do think that my setup is fairly common and I would like a simple "guide" as to say, to get my system up to 3.0-3.2GHz.

Thank you in advance.

Just keep on adding blck, just the blck, until it reaches a point of unstability (prime95 fails, etc) Then from there, increase the voltages, QPI voltages and vcore until it reaches stable. Then just keep on increasing the blck to your 155. Then test for stability. If its stable, HOO RAY. If its not, keep on upping the voltages until stable. BTW if its stable, you might wanna consider dropping your voltages, *make sure its stable* so as to decrease temps.

I'm not a overclocking god, but thats how i did mine.

You should be able to run up to about 160-165 bclock on stock volts. All 4 of my i7s can do this and they are less then primo chips. I normally set my vdimm to 1.65 the IOH to 1.2, QPI to 1.275 to 1.3, and vcore at 1.25 just to be sure.

You should be able to run up to about 160-165 bclock on stock volts. All 4 of my i7s can do this and they are less then primo chips. I normally set my vdimm to 1.65 the IOH to 1.2, QPI to 1.275 to 1.3, and vcore at 1.25 just to be sure.

Thanks to both of you guys.

Cookeman, or perhaps someone else, could you guys estimate how much of a RAM frequency drop should I expect when I up the bclk to around 150-155? Right now it is at 1333MHz im assuming (since XMT profile is on)

At 150 with the 8 memory multiplier(1066) you should be at 1200MHz or with the10 multi 1500MHz. Now that memory should do 1600MHz at least mine does with the 9-9-9 timings so you can theoretically reach a 200bclock with the memory at 1600 depending on the divider run. You can use the XMP profile but you can do better on your own with some tweaking. THe P6T I had would do a 222 bclock and allow one of my 920s to run at 4.1 prime stable. A tip would be to relace the tim under the chipset and have a fan blowing on the chipset when really pushing it. You will gain stability from the additional cooling.

• 4 weeks later...

LED ZEPPELIN THEME, CREATED BY PCMODGODS

RUNNING AT 3.99 BCLK is running at 190 mulitpier x21.0 { EXTREMELY STABLE }

WINDOWS XP PRO 64 BIT

INTEL 920 OVERCLOCKED 3.99

ASUS EXTREME RAMPAGE 2

12 GIGS CORSAIR 1600

WESTERN DIGITAL RAPTOR 300 GIG 10,000 RPM

BFG 295 PCI EXPRESS

CD BURNER/DVD PLAYER

DVD BURNER

COOLER MASTER V8 CPU COOLER