Question about case fans

reddot

Hello there guys!

Awesome forum, lots of nice tips/hints for all levels of experience.

I am a first-timer here and I have a few parts coming to my door in the next few days. The parts are the Antec 1200, Asus p6t board, Corsair 750W PSU etc.

My main concern is about the fans in the antec 1200, where would I plug them in? Will the mobo support them? Will i need to hook them up to my PSU?

Also, last question, I have ordered a Noctua CPU cooler (for 920's), where would it get the power from, mobo or a psu?

Thank you all in advance and I apologize for the "newbiness" of my questions.

WELCOME TO OCC

All of your case fans should be plugged into your PSU (for the most part high draw fans should be plugged into dedicated leads), it will be a pain to route the wires for good airflow but you should never draw too much power from the motherboard headers.

As far as the CPU fan goes it should be plugged into the motherboard so you can monitor its speed and recieve a warning if it dies. (usually some sort of high pitched beeping)

If you don't care about any RPM speed sensors or if you are going to put on an aftermarket fan that requires more power than you should go through the PSU directly...

:)

I would power them all through the Power Supply if you have enough molex adapters.

Alot of the fans that come inside cases now-a-days come with either molex ends already installed on them or they have the 3pin to 4pin molex adapters packaged with them. I dont like plugging the fans into the motherboard also you will be able to hide the wires a lot better if you run them through the PSU.

:) Good luck, what processor are you running?

beat me to it Andrew05...haha

Edited by gotdamojo06

This place is awesome, thanks for quick replies guys!

The processor I will be running is a Core i7 920, so I am expecting to OC it to approximately 3.0-3.6GHz, and yeah, I do have an aftermarket CPU cooler, so it "should" be fine with keeping the CPU cool.

So I will try to route all the fans to the power supply and connect to the 3-4 pin molex, I do want to connect this fan: Noctua NH-U12P to the motherboard for the reasons mentioned above (fan speed control and warning if it dies). I assume that the fan won't hurt the board if I power it off the board, correct?

Again, Thanks for fast replies!

P.S. correct me if I am wrong, but the Asus P6T motherboard have OC'ing tools in the sense that all I need to do is just alter the core frequency and leave it all on auto? (keep in mind, I am just doing a minor increase, probably up to 3.0GHz).

P.P.S. My DDR3-TripleChannel RAM is this: Patriot 6GB 1333 Low Latency DDR3 RAM, how is that going to affect my overclocking of the CPU?

I have never had a problem with Patriot overclocking. I use the Patriot Viper series DDR3 in my main rig with the Q9450 and the Asus Maximus board.

I do not like leaving many things on automatic settings, especially the voltages. I have never played with the Asus P6t motherboard, so I cannot comment on how it overclocks, but if you need any help with overclocking the i7, just start a new topic in the overclocking/hardware section of the fourm.

Check out the OC guide in my sig and read up on some of the terminology and techniques before you begin to overclock. It is a long process, so be ready to spend countless hours getting an overclock 24/7 stable. 3.0GHz should be a breeze with the 920. There are going to be a few different things between the 775 overclocking and the 1366 overclocking, any questions, again just ask and we will try and help you the best we can :D

sorry i wasn't as quick as the others.

i have an antec 1200. the great thing about the fans in it is that they're all 4-pin molex powered but they're designed so you can plug another 4 pin molex device into the front/back (i forget) so you don't need (or don't lose) a seperate molex power cable to power each of the 7 fans. so you can do what the guys who built my computer did and plug them all into one another and plug that into one molex from your power supply