Asking for some overclocking advice.

Hey there. I'm Jeffro and I would like to ask what the best way would be to overclock a newly purchased i7 920.

I overclocked once before but I have no idea how to overclock this as I don't want to brick my pc.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel® Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz, 2672 MHz (per core)

Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe V2

Memory: OCZ XTC Platinum OCZ3P1333LV2G (3 times) @ 533 MHz 7-7-7-16 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS) / 27-59-4-8-4-4 (RC-RFC-RRD-WR-WTR-RTP)

CPU Cooler: Scythe Kabuto SCKBT-1000

Case: Antec Nine Hundred

GPU: Sapphire HD4870 X2

So what would be the best way to overclock this? Without bricking stuff.

tempz.png

I also read about some asus ocing program. Is is safe and recommended to use? Would like some really good advice for a stable OC which I can game with together with the HD4780 X2's full potentional. :D

Regards, Jeffro :)

Hey there. I'm Jeffro and I would like to ask what the best way would be to overclock a newly purchased i7 920.

I overclocked once before but I have no idea how to overclock this as I don't want to brick my pc.

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel

Edited by Dariuas

The only problem with Using TurboV is the limited amount that you can increase each time.

You can only mostly increase by 2 or .2 in voltage. So it takes a while to Overclock inside any OS

Jeffro, You have a D0 chip. So your stats will be different from the guy above's probably. Your CPU and QPI voltage will be closer to 1.28 for 3.6 Ghz operating continuous use. 1.35 Volts would make sense on your chip for 4.1Ghz+ based on my experiences with D0's.

And your temps show that you have a stock cooler. Which means you should get an aftermarket cooler if you want to OC without "bricking" your chip. Especially with a D0 i7 which you could easily get past 4 Ghz.

Its not a stock cooler. It's a Scythe Kabuto SCKBT-1000 as the Mugen 2 just dissappeared from their system :S

Can I however test some of those settings to make sure the temps okay.

What temps should I aim at. Because I don't really know what to change in the first place (Damn 775 sockets and amd were much easier.)

Stress test under stock settings with that cooler.

testf.png

Edited by Jeffro

Its not a stock cooler. It's a Scythe Kabuto SCKBT-1000 as the Mugen 2 just dissappeared from their system :S

Can I however test some of those settings to make sure the temps okay.

What temps should I aim at. Because I don't really know what to change in the first place (Damn 775 sockets and amd were much easier.)

Stress test under stock settings with that cooler.

Jeff,

You can use the specs above, and raise/lower QPI as you see, the only reason I posted those, was as ground to start on.

If you can get away with staying below 70c you're in great shape. I try to avoid going over 60c but thats me.

I keep my core voltage down as low as possible to reduce heat, and with the added and the MX5 Thermal, I dropped about 11degrees

from the Zalman 9700 that I originally had on there.

Ok tried first settings but I think this is a little dangerous. (damn my cooler sucks)

Should I take these? What should I lower?

Those temps are outside of my comfort zone.

Try reducing your CPU voltage a bit, just a couple of steps each time.

Reboot, run P95 again, see where they are at.

I would consider if you can still return that cooler switch

over to the A.L.C domino, or another Water Cooling System Swiftech has a

lot of good all in one systems that require only a bit of research before

putting them together.

Check your temps in both Real Temp, and CoreTemp (CT is my prefered)

Also, the Asus board comes with PCProbe, you can check those.

I put a temp sensor on my block to see which was closer and for me CT worked

the best.

Are you going for the fastest speeds? Highest benchmarks? There is almost

no difference in Benchmark scores on my build from 3.6 to 3.5 nor on game play.

Edited by Dariuas

I'm just going for a little speedier system with oc for stuff that uses 1 core. I got it much better now. Somehow the Volage in CPU-Z changed :S I think I set it too 1.2.

Well leave it like this? :)

test4.png

I'm just going for a little speedier system with oc for stuff that uses 1 core. I got it much better now. Somehow the Volage in CPU-Z changed :S I think I set it too 1.2.

Well leave it like this? :)

test4.png

Looks great, with one exception ;-)

You posted your Memory tab from CPU-Z twice so I can't really see what the CPU tab says :O

Those temperatures are much more tolerable.

Download OCCT and run for an hour, it will basicly cook your processor and give you a graph of loads and temps.