OCing my ATI 4870s in crossfire

iv been having trouble finding a GOOD prog to OC my 4870s that works WELL with Crossfire. iv tried rivertuner with no gains.

im no noob to OCing just have had probs finding good progs 4 CF.

With those tools you normaly can overclock each card seperately. they dont have to be at the same speeds. If you can push one further do it! ;)

this support even goes in linking a 4850 to a 4870 or even 4890 every card of the 48XX series can be linked the speed doesn't matter only the chip. :)

With those tools you normaly can overclock each card seperately. they dont have to be at the same speeds. If you can push one further do it! ;)

this support even goes in linking a 4850 to a 4870 or even 4890 every card of the 48XX series can be linked the speed doesn't matter only the chip. :)

Running the GPU's at different clocks is a complete waste of time and effort. It dosn't matter what each card is clocked to, when you run a game or benchmark the clockspeed and ramspeed is decided by the LOWEST clocked card.

Running the GPU's at different clocks is a complete waste of time and effort. It dosn't matter what each card is clocked to, when you run a game or benchmark the clockspeed and ramspeed is decided by the LOWEST clocked card.

You migt be right i tought it would matter a (verry)little bit in preformance. If this wasn't supported a 4850+4870 would be the same as 2X4850 so i dont get it...

Where do you got that statement?

Edited by Reagnon

riva tuner works,, you have to select each card then oc it,, then select the next one,,, I must say that the whole process has gotten wayyyyyyy more complicated and generally a major pain in the butt now that I have 2 cards

I am now having problems with riva doing what I want to when I start the computer,,,, I make custom fan profiles and now they wont work unless I open riva tuner and open up the graph??

Edited by feetfats

kitfit1 what did you use to OC them?

I use Riva Tuner, as ATI Tools has never been very successfull for me.

Once i know i have my highest stable clock on the 4870x2 and the 4870, then i use ATI RBE to re-rite the bios of both cards, then i flash them.

Doing it this way means i then never need to mess around in Windows clocking them again.

Where do you got that statement?

The way that Crossfire works has always been based on the clocks of the slowest card.

Just think about it for a minute and i'm shure you will realise why.