E8400 Running 21-23*C over ambient at idle&stock- acceptable?

Right now the temp isn't so bad since my room temp is about 20-23. But I'm worried about mid-summer when the temp in my room can reach about 33. That would be about 55 degrees idle temperature! I heard under 65 is where you want to be with the E8400 and I fear I might breach that if I start gaming :(

What are my options here?

I'm thinking of getting some different TIM(I was using the one that came with the cooler) and buying a bolt through kit for the cooler. I had lots of trouble getting the cooler on when I first installed it but if the computer will survive at those temps then I don't really want to open up my case because it's hella messy in there :unsure:

Any recommendations? I'll bite the bullet and take it apart if I need to :)

You've got some issues. I'd suspect that you cooler isn't seated properly since you said you had trouble getting it on. If it uses the push pins... IT SUCKS. Go get that bolt through kit and see if that helps. You also said your case was messy which makes me think you need to clean it up to allow the air to flow better.

They're push pins :(

Would something like this help me out? Together with some AS5 and I think I should be good to go.

That would only help if your e8400 was somehow a socket 1366 chip. (it's not) ;)

This would be what you need, along with some screws to put it on with.

and yes, AS5 would be good. I prefer MX-2 paste, just because you don't have to worry about the "break-in" period, but whatever floats your boat.

Edited by Turophiliac

Hmm, but the description on the page says its compatible with socket 775. :P

Also, that's like the only one I can find in the computer stores in my area (Toronto).

I checked newegg.ca but it doesn't have the one you posted. It does have MX-2 though. Is there a big difference? I read somewhere that a harder (more viscous?) TIM is better for HDT coolers but I have no idea as to how correct that statement is.

Guess I'll have to read up on it a bit.

Edit: oo we joined on the same day Turo </pointless comment>

Edited by viperk1