Why do they make CPU's the way they do?

Cooling is always an issue with processors, and overclocking especially. But this got me thinking when looking at how tiny the CPU itself is...

Wouldn't making the CPU larger in physical dimensions reduce heat? Or at least increase the surface area at which heat can be transfered and removed? Any reason why this isnt being done?

It is done with heatspreaders

Here's a look "inside": http://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/ihsremoval/

Making the silicon wafer larger would increase the production cost (by decreasing the wafer yield)

I'd say cooling is more of a consideration than an "issue"... you can buy aircooling sufficient for 50%+ OCs on Intel CPUs these days...

I agree.

Going too big would have more cons that pros and its now obvious that going too small isnt beneficial as there is less surface area to dissipate the heat.

I would think that a processor with todays power but double in size could cool better than one in its current size.

I mean we're so stuck on cramming teraflops of computing power into the size of a cracker...

Whats wrong with using todays technology but double the size (doubling the power as well possibly)?

Like I said there would be a point where the size of the chip wouldn't be feasible to place into a computer but I believe that more surface area to a point would help cool off todays high wattage processors...

I agree.

Going too big would have more cons that pros and its now obvious that going too small isnt beneficial as there is less surface area to dissipate the heat.

I would think that a processor with todays power but double in size could cool better than one in its current size.

I mean we're so stuck on cramming teraflops of computing power into the size of a cracker...

Whats wrong with using todays technology but double the size (doubling the power as well possibly)?

Like I said there would be a point where the size of the chip wouldn't be feasible to place into a computer but I believe that more surface area to a point would help cool off todays high wattage processors...

Yeh we don't want to go back to computers the size or rooms :P

But even if the socket was the same size, but the site of transfer was made bigger, that would probably help... and spacing the pins in the CPU would help too.

Processors have to get smaller to increase the clock speeds. The "wires" that connect all the millions of transistors together cause a delay. The shorter the "wire", the shorter the delay, the higher the frequency and hence the smaller the chip.

Have a look at this.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by paulktreg

Cooling is always an issue with processors, and overclocking especially. But this got me thinking when looking at how tiny the CPU itself is...

Wouldn't making the CPU larger in physical dimensions reduce heat? Or at least increase the surface area at which heat can be transfered and removed? Any reason why this isnt being done?

Actually, if you just increase the border of the chip with no additional features, I do not think this will improve the situation. Silicon is a good, but not great thermally conductive material. Copper alloys are better. So the distribution of the heat away from the heat source within the chip is better done by the heat spreader than the silicon (assuming the silicon-heat spreader interface has low thermal impedance).

Processors have to get smaller to increase the clock speeds. The "wires" that connect all the millions of transistors together cause a delay. The shorter the "wire", the shorter the delay, the higher the frequency and hence the smaller the chip.

Have a look at this.

Cheers

Paul

Ahh okay, guess we'll just have to wait for fibre-optic processors :)

Actually, if you just increase the border of the chip with no additional features, I do not think this will improve the situation. Silicon is a good, but not great thermally conductive material. Copper alloys are better. So the distribution of the heat away from the heat source within the chip is better done by the heat spreader than the silicon (assuming the silicon-heat spreader interface has low thermal impedance).

yea, kinda pulling off of what you said, adding more silicon and more transistors would just keep the same "heat production/surface area ratio" and just add more total heat to the equation would it not?