Please help me slay the 4.0ghz dragon :D

1 small correction for you. The Early GO stepping chips were gems but the later ones ended up as garbage. I have one I cannot coax over 3.4 but another tthat will be happy at 3.8 to 3.9 under water and on the right board. Tr upping you NB volts and max out on you chip at 1.55 as long as you are cooling it well enough.

Okay will try that..

any idea what upping the VTT will do to make me achieve higher speeds?? and if so.. what is safe?

best regards,

-DS-

DS,

Are you just looking for a max overclock for a one time shot, or are you trying to find a happy place where everything works as it should and minimizing excessive wear and tear on your gear?

If it's the later, then I'd just echo what several others have already said. If you are at 3.8ghz stable on a Q6600 then I would say that is an outstanding achievement.

You note earlier in your thread that your cooling is "adequate" but I'm not sure what that means. Are you air cooling or water? What are the core temps of each of your individual cores after several hours of OCCT, Linkpack or Orthos?

DS,

Are you just looking for a max overclock for a one time shot, or are you trying to find a happy place where everything works as it should and minimizing excessive wear and tear on your gear?

If it's the later, then I'd just echo what several others have already said. If you are at 3.8ghz stable on a Q6600 then I would say that is an outstanding achievement.

You note earlier in your thread that your cooling is "adequate" but I'm not sure what that means. Are you air cooling or water? What are the core temps of each of your individual cores after several hours of OCCT, Linkpack or Orthos?

Hello wevsspot,

to answer your questions... :)

First of all i AM looking for a one time shot and yes i am happy with what i got now. Just want to see how far i can take her. :)

In the meanwhile waiting for someone to reply i have been fiddling about changing all sort of things, PLL

VTT (still not sure what that does, even though i read i need to be careful with it), SB & NB vcore and even upping my cpu vcore even further.

i managed to post and get into windows at 4.0 ghz but the instant i start prime i get a lock up Some work is needed...

I must note i find it suprising how much more work it takes to get to 4.0ghz.

i'll probably be off to bed in a little while

since my GF came over to give me a suprise visit. As you surely understand I have some other errr.. "tweaking" to do ;)

I'm running on water, my cooling is the Thermaltake Bigwater 760is

i'm running at 1.55v in bios and idle temps hover around 31-33degrees to 54degrees max on highest core. These figures are with prime.

I have not tried the software you mentioned.

Tomorrow i will post all voltages.

Hope you'll be back and if you have some pointers for me already they would be much appreciated.

thanx in advance.

Best regards,

-DS-

Edited by DoggieStyle

If your PLL is already at 1.613v I certainly wouldn't go any higher than that. In fact the general range is usually somewhere between 1.5 - 1.6v

If your PLL voltage is significantly higher than your vtt you risk damaging your processor. Generally I just leave PLL at auto settings because in my experience it hasn't had that much impact on overclocking.

You may need to drop your RAM speed if all you're wanting is a suicide screen shot of your cpu at 4.0ghz.

I'd try VTT up to 1.4v, NB up to 1.7v and CPU up to 1.65v to get 4+ GHz on a Q6600 (actually I think I ran like 1.75v to get a 4GHz suicide screenshot lol)

My Q6600 sucks though, or maybe it's the added difficulty of Quads on NVidia chipsets... either way, 3.8 GHz is really good for a 24/7 OC, so you might want to consider settling for it instead of losing hardware or sanity in the quest for the arbitrary 4GHz speed

I think my Q9450 could probably do 4+ GHz on a P45 board, but on 790i it's somewhere between 3.8-3.9 GHz

My Q6600 does 3.6 on water or fast air, but it's running on near-silent air now at 3.2 GHz instead

I'd try VTT up to 1.4v, NB up to 1.7v and CPU up to 1.65v to get 4+ GHz on a Q6600 (actually I think I ran like 1.75v to get a 4GHz suicide screenshot lol)

My Q6600 sucks though, or maybe it's the added difficulty of Quads on NVidia chipsets... either way, 3.8 GHz is really good for a 24/7 OC, so you might want to consider settling for it instead of losing hardware or sanity in the quest for the arbitrary 4GHz speed

I think my Q9450 could probably do 4+ GHz on a P45 board, but on 790i it's somewhere between 3.8-3.9 GHz

My Q6600 does 3.6 on water or fast air, but it's running on near-silent air now at 3.2 GHz instead

Hello hardnrg,

Sorry for the late reply. Work work work..

I have pushed my processor to the max increasing all kinds of voltages. Fortunately my chip is a Bulldogg I

I hope you known that a) PLL voltage is one of the easiest ways of killing a CPU and b) you can kill a cpu even at normal temperatures

Hi,

Yeah i was aware of that.. but i just had to find out if it would even matter to raise it ;)

grtz.

Hmm.... :huh:

Something strange going on there is... <_<

I have flashed my bios from G28 (beta) to P15 (public) after reading some other forums...

Take a look at the screenshot.. these voltages are at 3.4ghz

post-66867-1239990897_thumb.jpg

post-66867-1239990952_thumb.jpg

What's going on here??? I wonder what this means for my OC. i'm already in love with this bios :D

I'll keep you guys posted.. the hunt continues

Edited by DoggieStyle