Memory Question

I am looking for opinions on these settings.

I am currently running my Q6600 stable at 3.42/1520/380x9 @ 1.35v with my ram linked 3:2 = 1013 / 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v

I can also run my system stable at 3.42/1520/380x9 @ 1.35v with my ram linked 1:1 = 760 / 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v

I can also run my system stable at 3.20/1600/400x8 @ 1.35v with my ram linked 1:1 = 800 / 4-4-4-12 @ 2.1v with a little lower benches!

The first two ram settings give almost the exact same benchmark numbers from what I can tell. My question is if it's better to run 1:1 slower speed with tighter timings or 3:2 faster speed with looser timings. I typically play COD4, GTR, some Crysis and some older FPS games...And would I see any benefits to running the 1600 fsb over the 1520?

Specs in sig.

Opinions respected...............Thanks

Duane

You definitely want the higher CPU clock speed over the higher FSB. As far as timings go, you should leave the low divider and high timings first, find the "Performance Level" memory timing and set that as low as you can, then tighten your clock speed, then your main timings. Giving your memory 300MHz more clock speed will (should anyways) more than make up for a 1 point increase in timing.

I'd run it at the highest Mhz you can. Timings don't make much of a difference on Intels.

Thanks for your thoughts....I did some more benches last night and am seeing your point.

You definitely want the higher CPU clock speed over the higher FSB. As far as timings go, you should leave the low divider and high timings first, find the "Performance Level" memory timing and set that as low as you can, then tighten your clock speed, then your main timings. Giving your memory 300MHz more clock speed will (should anyways) more than make up for a 1 point increase in timing.

It sounds like the general consensus is to run higher clock speeds while running the tightest timings allowed for a given speed..correct?

Thanks for your opinions..

Yep, thats what I do and its served me well. Get your speed as high as you can, then tighten your timings second. If you really want better memory performance, research a little on the subtimings like tRD (aka Performance Level) and tRFC, but for your purposes you should be fine without tuning them. Happy clocking :D

Yep, thats what I do and its served me well. Get your speed as high as you can, then tighten your timings second. If you really want better memory performance, research a little on the subtimings like tRD (aka Performance Level) and tRFC, but for your purposes you should be fine without tuning them. Happy clocking :D

I have read a few posts on the subject but haven't had the chance to do any in depth research yet...Thanks again.