Why I've Been Wrong

ebarone

I had posted some results about that a while ago, here. Basically, gained about 400MB/s with some tweaking using memset.

Nice reminder though! I'll try to play a bit more with triple channel DDR3 and get a thread up soon :)

I had posted some results about that a while ago, here. Basically, gained about 400MB/s with some tweaking using memset.

Nice reminder though! I'll try to play a bit more with triple channel DDR3 and get a thread up soon :)

A 4% improvement in bandwidth doesn't equal a 4% improvement in speed though...

The point to this thread wasnt to talk about the normal memory timings. It was to talk about the timing thats in no overclocking guide I've ever read, the tRD, and why the mem ratio people talk about is meaningless sometimes. Its explained in the article at the beginning, certain straps allow for better tRD values, and running higher mem clocks at the cost of tRD can be detrimental to performance. Also its meant to be a learning experience for me and anyone else who's never delved into the subtimings realm, to find out about things like tRFC and tRC as well :D

A 4% improvement in bandwidth doesn't equal a 4% improvement in speed though...

Not on desktop computers indeed and I think that's something we all know, but that's not the point. Tweaking memory, including subtimings of course, is a free performance boost just like overclocking, except it's a lot more involving.

And yes that article at AT was very interesting.

Edited by Zertz