Cpu Clock "dropping"

ramajuko

First things first: Gigabyte EP35-DS3R mobo with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 proc (2.66ghz stock).

I was tooling around in my BIOS the other day and decided to try my hand at some minor overclocking, just to see how my temps worked with factory cooling. I boosted my CPU clock up to 2.8ghz (leet, I know) and booted into windows. Upon running CPU-Z, I noticed the displayed speed would read 2800 mhz, and a few seconds later would drop to read only 2200. After a "what the heck" moment, I decided to run another program to see if maybe it was just CPU-Z. Core Temp reported the exact same thing. Thinking that maybe I'd messed something up, I rebooted, and restored the factory defaults in my BIOS. Problem not solved. Now I see 2666mhz with the intermittent drop to 2000. I don't have any special power management junk installed, I don't see anything wrong with the voltage settings in the BIOS. I'm guessing it is, in fact, a power issue, but I'm not sure where to proceed from here.

Any thoughts?

Oh, my PSU is a 700w and I only run one drive and a GTX260, so I don't think the problem is there.

It's a throttling feature of the chip. It lowers the multiplier when it's not in use to save power. You can turn it off by disabling the "C1E" feature in your BIOS. There are lots of threads around here about it. This is one of them.