Inno3d 9600gt Core Frequency

frankee234

First of all, hi to the OCC community, this is my first post and definitely not the last; and this all the way from the Philippines.

Ok, so I got my hands on a stock Inno3d 9600GT and we all know the stock fan sucks, so I pulled it out, bought an Artic Cooling Accelero S2 cooler with Turbo Module.

I got a stable overclock of 650-->725Mhz Core, 1650-->1760Mhz Shaders, and 1800-->2040Mhz Memory. Strange thing is, my GPU temp according to Speedfan and Rivatuner is maxxed at 50C which is relatively cool compared to other cards OC'ed. For both the Shaders and memory, I get artifacts in furmark above those posted numbers. The case becomes different with the core, because when I exceed 725Mhz I get the infamous "nVidia driver has stopped responding" error in Vista (Ultimate), which means it is throttling.

Considering my temps, I am led to believe I can go much higher than 725. I'm thinking of the following reasons why the card is throttling, so please help me narrow the list down. Oh and by the way, my PCI-E freq is at the default 100Mhz, so no "unseen" core boosts.

1. It's really the limit for my card, after all, all boards are different.

2. My PSU cannot and will not give the needed juice for the boost.

3. It's just a Vista driver issue. (I'm using Xtreme-G 180.82) -->unlikely

4. My temps are a lie.

Much thanks! :closedeyes:

@Admin: I feel I posted in the wrong forum, sorry.

Edited by frankee234

Hey there Frankee, welcome to OCC :) You posted in the right forum, either Overclocking or Video Cards for the issue at hand.

Have a go at GPU-Z for temps, see what that says. I would think it could be temperature misreading, but it could also be the PSU. Can you provide us with some data on that PSU?

Other than that, you can stick your hand inside your case (try not to get stuck into the fans!) and feel if the card gets warm or not.

39 idle, 50 under load. Just a 350W PSU with a PCI-E connector. 31A on the rails, so it's enough. Other peripherals: a SATA HDD and a DVD-ROM drive. It is warm, but not untouchable warm. Somehow I don't trust the readings, so do you know where I can find the thermometer "probe" or the thermistor?

Oh well, maybe I'm just making up an excuse not to invest in at least a decent PSU. Maybe it's about time.