Biostar Tpower I45/ E8400 Overclocking

i've read alot of the reviews here on OCC and finally got signed up on the forums...

this is my first major overclocking computer so im still a newbie at it. ive read alot of reviews and forums

about the components i bought. after i got the computer put together and running i started overclocking it.

i got up to about 3.9 ghz which is about a 30% overclock without a problem... once i went over that my

system became unstable. so... from all the forums i read and guides on overclocking... the next thing to do

was raise the voltages. once i bumped my Vcore and Vfsb up my system became unstable even at the clock

that was stable at lower voltages. i havent read anywhere that a system becomes unstable when you give it more

voltage... i thought i did everything right. the ram was never above 1066 which is what it was rated at... put

the ram at 2.2 V as its spec.

CPU temps- 42 idle and 56 load @3.9 ghz (433x9)

Vcore- 1.248 underload i have a small V drop

Vnb-1.136

Vfsb-1.152

i've been using OCCT to strain the CPU and test it... i know that 30% overclock is very nice, but i know this thing can do alot more than that and i want to push the temps close to 60-65 degrees for a solid overclock. i jsut have never heard of raising voltages to make it unstable.

let me know what you all think... maybe i should be just boosting the voltages by like +.3 on Vcore. but that still doesnt explain why its more stable at +.025V and not at +.1V

Mobo: Biostar Tpower I45

CPU: E8400 @ 3.9ghz

Mem: OCZ DDR2 1066 (2x2gigs)

GPU: Gigabyte 9800gtx+ 1gb

Case: CoolerMaster HAF

Cooling: Air / Zalman CNPS9700 LED

HD: 500g Seagate

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Edited by PardonMyOwnage

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What voltage were you using when it became unstable?

What configuration do you have your ram at? Config 1,2,3,4? Config 3 is what works best with the Biostar Tpower board.

You might have to tweak other voltages as well such as your chipset voltages, FSB voltage.

Edited by damian

What voltage were you using when it became unstable?

What configuration do you have your ram at? Config 1,2,3,4? Config 3 is what works best with the Biostar Tpower board.

You might have to tweak other voltages as well such as your chipset voltages, FSB voltage.

the ram i just kept on the config that kept it below 1066

i did tweak other voltages... thats what i'm trying to say. when i upped the voltages is when it became unstable... at the 1.248 i got 3.9 outa it and when i went to 1.348 on the same clock settings it was unstable

A vcore of 1.248 rarely gets you stable that high.

My vcore at 3.8Ghz is 1.3375.

So you may need to up it to say 1.3, and fiddle around with it either up or down until you get it stable.

yea it was strange not having to up the voltage and get it to 3.9ghz (433 x9). but once i did hit that wall upping the voltages made it worse. maybe i just need to take the voltages WAY up... to like 1.35 or so

So you took up the voltages gradually??

at the stock 1.248 it went to 3.9ghz and when i tried to get 4.0 it was unstable. i took it back down to 3.9 and upped the voltage by .05, .075, .1V and non were stable... when it did boot to windows it only lasted a couple mins... at one point i think i did .15 and .1 to FSB and still same thing

the ram i just kept on the config that kept it below 1066

i did tweak other voltages... thats what i'm trying to say. when i upped the voltages is when it became unstable... at the 1.248 i got 3.9 outa it and when i went to 1.348 on the same clock settings it was unstable

Well what voltages are you tweaking, we need that info as well.

this is an odd problem, and i'm interested because my flatmate just got a similar setup (e8500 with that MB.) he got his prime stable at 1.23 something volts at 3.8 GHz with the E0 revision, so i'm not surprised you got similar results. that does interest me though that when you raised the voltages it became less stable. tell me this, when you reduced the voltages back to what it was running stable at the 3.8 (or whatever you had it stable at)?

EDIT: oh btw try increasing your Northbridge voltage, not sure which one that is on that biostar, but you seem like a smart enough person, you can figure it out ;)

Edited by turophiliac

this is an odd problem, and i'm interested because my flatmate just got a similar setup (e8500 with that MB.) he got his prime stable at 1.23 something volts at 3.8 GHz with the E0 revision, so i'm not surprised you got similar results. that does interest me though that when you raised the voltages it became less stable. tell me this, when you reduced the voltages back to what it was running stable at the 3.8 (or whatever you had it stable at)?

EDIT: oh btw try increasing your Northbridge voltage, not sure which one that is on that biostar, but you seem like a smart enough person, you can figure it out ;)

it was quite interesting... because once i did lower the voltages back, it was still MORE stable than the slightly higher voltages, BUT i did start having troubles after long trials where it would freeze and give me a blue screen. so idk... im almost tempted to say that upping the voltages a little somehow decreased the stability of the lower stable voltage... now i cant get a true stable for the life of me... i think i may try lowering the clock and upping the voltage and do another set of test runs and see if i can get it working better...

how high should i take the Vnb?