The Gpu2 Client Really Is > All!

kingdingeling

Sorry everyone, I've had downtime since Thursday evening. I got a new PSU (OCZ EvoStream 600W to power the second 8800GT), but it wouldn't quite play as nicely as I thought. The 8-pin EPS 12V connector does not reach the socket on the mainboard, so I have to hit the shops tomorrow and see if I can find an extension cable. Other than that, I took the time to rip the EvoStream apart and rip that 80mm out of it, it was driving me nuts for the 5 minutes I had the rig running! It sounded like 5500rpm! :O

I expect the rig to be back up tomorrow afternoon :)

So am I correct in thinking that it works with both nVidia and ATI cards? I'm just wondering because its winter here in Upstate NY which means I can start folding again. I'm also going to be purchasing a new video card which may greatly increase my production. I've been away for a while so any help would be great.

Yes, the GPU2 client works on both NVidia and ATI cards. However, at the current moment, the NVidia cards net more PPD than ATI. Although, once the client is optimized to fully utilize ATI cards, the ATI cards should rule. Until then, Nvidia is the way to go for F@H.

Yes, the GPU2 client works on both NVidia and ATI cards. However, at the current moment, the NVidia cards net more PPD than ATI. Although, once the client is optimized to fully utilize ATI cards, the ATI cards should rule. Until then, Nvidia is the way to go for F@H.

I wouldn't say ATI will be the way to go except if it's your main rig only, the power draw to make PPD on ATI now is just as high as nvidia, if they do give the client the ability to use the more specialized shaders to some extent on the 4000 series as planned I would say the extra power and heat would suck for "farm" usage. Of course this is pure theory and based on my 4870 vs 9600 GSO/8800 GT/GTX 260 experience. I really need to get a new PSU for my folding rig, I had to pull one of the 9600s due to the 500W not quite being able to keep up with all three OCed under load. A better quality 500W should be able to, but I really dont have the budget for that atm.

I wouldn't say ATI will be the way to go except if it's your main rig only, the power draw to make PPD on ATI now is just as high as nvidia, if they do give the client the ability to use the more specialized shaders to some extent on the 4000 series as planned I would say the extra power and heat would suck for "farm" usage. Of course this is pure theory and based on my 4870 vs 9600 GSO/8800 GT/GTX 260 experience. I really need to get a new PSU for my folding rig, I had to pull one of the 9600s due to the 500W not quite being able to keep up with all three OCed under load. A better quality 500W should be able to, but I really dont have the budget for that atm.

And this is why I love college. I'm not paying the electric bill, granted I pay a lot to live in the dorms, but it's all included. Anyways, it is in my main rig so it doesn't matter.

Well, I'm just going to go for whichever card is at a better price. Probably a 9800/8800 or the comparable ATI card. I'm going to be using it for gaming anyway, and since both have similar performance I'm just going for the card that is better for my wallet. :)

Cchalogamer, you're exactly the one I need right now! How did you set up all three GSOs in that rig without them "fighting" for the difference CPU cores? I have dual 88GTs in my rig right now, running dual GPU2 clients, but as I am running XP (subject to change in the next few days actually), they want a whole CPU core for full speed. Problem is, when I set the affinity and then it downloads a new core, the affinity changes again, so they're both running on one core.

Any way around this? AJW256's affinity setter does not work for dual GPU2 clients sadly :(