Total Newbie Question About Arctic Silver 5...

Now that's the spirit :P I recommend you get that Xigmatek cooler that was linked earlier by r3d_c0m3t, it's a great one for the money :)

Done! I usually take a long time to research things, but in this case, the Xigmatek recommendation by the posters on this thread were totally in line with reviews by Tom's Hardware and other sites (as well as Newegg user reviews), so I bit the bullet and got one. Now, I'm just hoping that the thing arrives tomorrow so that I can start my overclocking adventure this weekend.

Done! I usually take a long time to research things, but in this case, the Xigmatek recommendation by the posters on this thread were totally in line with reviews by Tom's Hardware and other sites (as well as Newegg user reviews), so I bit the bullet and got one. Now, I'm just hoping that the thing arrives tomorrow so that I can start my overclocking adventure this weekend.

Much to learn you have. Take Newegg reviews with an absolute grain of salt, plenty of reviewers there usually rate their tech levels to be high and tend to give a product negative reviews for reasons that either...

A. Makes no sense

B. They caused themselves and are looking to claim the product as being faulty, in which they're usually pwn'd by a company representative (I've Corsair and OCZ do it plenty of times).

C. They complain about things that make sense, but one should know before actually buying the component.

So, like I said, a grain of salt. :P

Edited by r3d c0m3t

Much to learn you have. Take Newegg reviews with an absolute grain of salt, plenty of reviewers there usually rate their tech levels to be high and tend to give a product negative reviews for reasons that either...

A. Makes no sense

B. They caused themselves and are looking to claim the product as being faulty, in which they're usually pwn'd by a company representative (I've Corsair and OCZ do it plenty of times).

C. They complain about things that make sense, but one should know before actually buying the component.

So, like I said, a grain of salt. :P

Thanks for the advice. Given the favorable reviews by TH and other reliable sources, I feel good about this purchase, but from now on I'll be careful about buying anything solely based on Newegg user reviews.