Have I Just Been Unlucky?

dode74

Memtest is a very weak testing program, if it fails memtest you are VERY unstale. If it fails Orthos after 2 hours 10 minutes, you aren't that far from stability. What you wanna do is up the CPU voltage a tad. What have you set it at right now? Auto? Make sure you set it yourself, some Auto features on boards tend to be crap :(

Thanks. Some interent trawling leads me to believe that 1.26875 is a reasonable setting. I'll give that a go then test it overnight again.

I appreciate the help, King.

Edited by dode74

++UPDATE++

Well, that worked. Over 8 hours of Orthos and no problems at 3.8GHz, max temperature reached was 50C (122F for you non-English people) on core 0 (a 9C rise from idle) and 48 on core 1 (a 17C rise from idle). CPU-Z gace VCore as 1.240, which seems right after losses from 1.26875.

Given the low temperature and the fact that the chip is rated to 1.3625v (the horse's mouth), I reckon it's got a lot more to give. Or are there some other limiting factors I'm missing? Is ist just about keeping VCore and temperature down? And is the Thermal Specification given in the above link a maximum for the chip?

PS - It appears I have an answer to my original question, the thread title. The answer is "no, I just didn't know what I was doing!"

Edited by dode74

I take offense to the term (non English countries) :)

All the great countries run on metric, because it actually make sense, how the hell is 21 (or what ever it is) freezing ????? 21 is a nice temperature.

NOTE: SARCASM IS USED ABOVE