Have I Just Been Unlucky?

dode74

So, my build is as below. I've told the BIOS to recognise the RAM as DRR1066 and then increased the bus speed to 350. So far so good (yet to see a core temp above 42) with 3.33GHz showing on CPU-Z. Increase to 360 and I get a hang up on start - the startup tells me that overclocking has failed and I need to go to setup. Back down to 350 and no problem again.

Have I just got one of the poorer chips or am I doing something wrong here?

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers

Dode

true....

on 1066 ram I start off on the 900mhz divider if I can and sart from there...that way where ever I end up and im close to 1066 speeds or just a little over....I never start off the bat on 1066 speeds...most ram wont go that far....

well on my e8400 i had to change the ram speed to 2.66D at 400mhz and then change the clock multiplier to 9 then change the fsb to 400 to get 3.6ghz.... because if i just change the fsb to 400 then my ram frequency changes to something like 1200mhz if i dont change the ram speed to 2.66D at 400mhz.... so if i was to leave everything stock and just change my ram speed to 2.66D at 400mhz then my ram frequency would be at 800mhz... then since its at 800mhz i can increase the fsb and not go over the 1066 stock ram speed so that i dont have to up any voltages...

i hope that made sense... anyways good luck

So let me get this straight...

By upping the RAM speed in the BIOS to 1066MHz I've put the RAM to it's maximum speed - a good thing on it's own.

By upping the FSB from 333 to 350 I've not only increased the CPU from 3.16GHz to 3.33 GHz, I've also increased the RAM speed from the already-set 1066MHz to 1120MHz (1066 * 350/333) - this is a bad thing as my RAM is rated to 1066. CPU-Z seems to back this up as it's giving me a RAM speed now of 561MHz, which reduces to 534MHz when I set the FSB to 333.

If this is right then I think I need to lower my RAM speed so I can up my FSB.

So, my current FSB:DRAM ratio when I set FSB to 333 is 5:8 according to CPU-Z. What I want is 1:1 (or as close as I can get it) to ensure that neither the RAM nor the CPU are the bottleneck. This means I need to increase the FSB, but I need to maintain 1066MHz as the RAM speed at the same time.

Now, the maths tells me that if I set RAM speed to 666MHz and FSB to 530 I get a 1:1 ratio and a 5GHz processor (multiplier is 9.5), which all sounds very nice...

BUT, there's a note on my BIOS saying that setting below 800MHz as the DRAM speed may result in no bootup. So, if I use 800MHz as my minimum DRAM speed the maths tells me that to get an actual DRAM of 1066MHz I should set an FSB of 444, giving me a 4.2GHz processor. Similarly, a 900MHz minimum will require an FSB of 394.4 to get 1066MHz, leaving me with a 3.75GHz processor.

All of that seems WAY too simple to be right but, if it is, how do I calculate what voltages I need to increase?

yep the calculations are right... but about the voltage and the temperature it will reach... would be scary... unless u got water cool or something...

p.s

my current ram to fsb ratio is 16:12 is that a good thing or a bad thing?

Edited by D@3HaM1nGuK

dode74, VERY well written, that's one of the most complete posts about RAM and RAM settings I've read in a while on OCC :lol: Your calculations are right on the money, except your forgot one thing. You CAN overclock the RAM although it's rated at 1066, but not very far. The other thing is you can run it at less speed also, technically at a performance loss. What you can do to overcome that potential performance loss is tighten up the RAM timings, so run it at CL4 for example, which will give you extra performance again.

RAM voltage is no exact science, each set of sticks needs different amounts. Run it at 2.1Vs to start off, then increase when you reach instability. Don't go past 2.25 or 2.3Vs for 24/7 use though (IMO).

Thanks King :)

That was written purely so I could understand the maths of the thing; I find that trying to explain something makes me understand it better myself quite often...

Anyway, I set the OC jumpers on my P5Q for both the northbridge and the CPU, allowing both the RAM and the CPU to increase voltage to 2.26v and 2.1v respectively. I then set DDR to 887MHz and the FSB to 375 (a bit lower than the calculated 400, but I'll keep increasing). CPU-Z now gives me:

Core voltage: 1.264

Core speed: 2250 (3562)

Multiplier: 6 (9)

DRAm Freq: 500

FSB:DRAM: 3:4

Core Temps: 41 and 30

So I reckon I can safely up to 400 on the FSB to give me a 3.8GHz processor!

Do I need to change any voltage settings in my BIOS?

++UPDATE++

The BIOS has an AUTO option for the voltage. I just left it that that with the pre-defined maxima that setting the OC jumpers allowed. Setting 400 on the FSB seems to work beautifully, and I now have a 3.8GHz CPU - nothing compared to what some of you guys have managed, but I'm quite proud of my first build and overclock attempt :) Thanks for your help - learning has taken place for me today...

Edited by dode74

I let Orthos run overnight. This morning it had failed 2hrs 10mins in. Running MemTest now.

++UPDATE++

MemTest showed no errors.

Any ideas?

Edited by dode74