Overclocking My 6400+

Odie

Hi ppl, I am new here and really a starter with overclocking.

My setup is:

Asus M3N-HD/HDMI Mainboard

AMD AM2 X2 6400+ (still running stock)

Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme with fans on both sides (still waiting for arctic silver 5 now using a diff paste)

4gb OCZ 667Mhz memory kit of 2 (made an error with ordering... ordering 1033Mhz for X-mas)

2x Club3d 9800GT in SLi

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000w UPS

I just bought this mainboard a week ago... looks solid... but I would like to see if my cpu can get further... (3,5-4Ghz)

But I am a real newby in this...

Is this possible, does any1 have some advice?

Hi ppl, I am new here and really a starter with overclocking.

My setup is:

Asus M3N-HD/HDMI Mainboard

AMD AM2 X2 6400+ (still running stock)

Thermalright ultra 120 Extreme with fans on both sides (still waiting for arctic silver 5 now using a diff paste)

4gb OCZ 667Mhz memory kit of 2 (made an error with ordering... ordering 1033Mhz for X-mas)

2x Club3d 9800GT in SLi

Zalman ZM1000-HP 1000w UPS

I just bought this mainboard a week ago... looks solid... but I would like to see if my cpu can get further... (3,5-4Ghz)

But I am a real newby in this...

Is this possible, does any1 have some advice?

turn up the fsb at intervals of 5 till it becomes unstable

if thats not enough you can turn up the voltage a little bit

you could also change the ram timings

is it to late to send the ram back and get what you wanted?

AMD CPUs are harder to overclock. You most likely won't reach 4Ghz and 3.5Ghz is pushing a little hard. Then again that all depends if its a black edition or not. Also is it the older or newer 6400+. Also i wouldn't bother with the 1066mhz ram for that 6400+ the ram probably will never see those speeds. The memory controller is very picky and the 6400+ only supports DDR2-800 ram.

Tips on overclocking your cpu

1) remember cpu voltage.

2) remember mem voltage.

3) don't take the HT link to far from stock. Doesn't really like being messed with.

4)set a mem divider that will get the mem close to 800mhz.

turn up the fsb at intervals of 5 till it becomes unstable

if thats not enough you can turn up the voltage a little bit

you could also change the ram timings

is it to late to send the ram back and get what you wanted?

yes its to late... going to look how I can get the ram a bit better.... cpu Im gonna wait till I have arctic cooling paste... hard to get around here... but this paste I have I don't dare to mess with...

AMD CPUs are harder to overclock. You most likely won't reach 4Ghz and 3.5Ghz is pushing a little hard. Then again that all depends if its a black edition or not. Also is it the older or newer 6400+. Also i wouldn't bother with the 1066mhz ram for that 6400+ the ram probably will never see those speeds. The memory controller is very picky and the 6400+ only supports DDR2-800 ram.

Tips on overclocking your cpu

1) remember cpu voltage.

2) remember mem voltage.

3) don't take the HT link to far from stock. Doesn't really like being messed with.

4)set a mem divider that will get the mem close to 800mhz.

The CPU is half a year old I guess... bought it new in shop and its standerd edition not the black edition....

Never thought about the memory tho.... thx for that advice... will look into it asap

Edited by Odie