Overclocking Troubles

We just started tring to overclock this system reading forums we even set the system to its default settings and it wont boot only boots in auto, now we can change the voltage and the memory and it will boot. but if we change the multiplier or core speed it wont boot but will boot fine in auto like i said. are we missing something to change or is it soemthing else if anyone has some suggestions or something like a step by step to setting this pls let us know. thank you

Definatley check out the guide dude linked to, and look for any others that might be for your system (i.e. amd or intel, p45/x48 or 680i/780i) because the approach is slightly different depending on your hardware.

First question I have is this:

Where in you are raising the multiplier and then it won't boot, have you raised the vcore voltage? Raisinig he multiplier obviousley causes the cpu to run @ higher frequencies which can require higher voltage. That may need to be raised so you can boot into windows. Remember that just because it boots into windows though does not mean you have a stable overclock.