Server 2008 Vpn Setup

xPETEZx

Hi Guys,

I have managed to setup VPN using Windows Server 2008, by simply using the wizard under the "Network Connections" menu.

IT all works fine, the users I want to connect, can connect, and the Internet IP of the computer I connect from then changes to that of the one here at home.

However, 2 things dont work.

1.)

I have 3 users, A, B, C & D. A-C all have home drives only they can access. All can access a "Shared" folder.

When any user connects to VPN, then can see the Shared folder. However, A-C cannot see there Home folders. As in, when I type the location, it says its unavalible.

2.)

DNS pass through does not work. If I type "\\servername\shared", I get a cannot find host error. However, if I type "\\server IP\shared" it works fine.

I can also ping IP's on the VPN network, however NEVER by there DNS name.

Is there away to allow this?

So that I can just type the Server name as I do when at home, while connected on VPN?

Thanks!

Can you post the settings for the VPN? In the meantime you might want to use nslookup to make sure your client machines aren't hitting your ISP dns instead of your dns.

Thanks for the reply nerm.

Ok, VPN settings as follows:

First Tab: General. Everything is grey out, apart from the "Virtual Private Network", which states "allow other to tunnel through the internet to connect to my network", which is ticked

Second Tab: Users. On this tab I have checked the box next to users I wish to allow to connect. The box allow handles to connect without password is unchecked

Third Tab: Networking, under this tab is a list of protocols. I have TCP IP 4, File & Print Sharing and QoS Packet Scheduler checked. There is also TCP/IP 6. Unchecked.

Network Tab: Under the TCP/IP 4 properties box, I have: "Allow users to access my LAN" which is checked, and then what scope of IP's to give to machines. I have set a range, and NOT set it to come from DHCP directly.

Is there away I can test my VPN without having an outside connection? I only have the ability to connect from my house at the moment, so I am not sure if connecting to the VPN from here will be accurate?

Lets say my machines are getting DNS from my ISP, what would I need to check/change to force them to use the VPN server also as the DNS server?

Ok I am a little confused. So you setup a VPN in your house? You do know that the purpose of a VPN is to connect to remote locations. As currently setup your VPN will not work because it isn't actually a VPN.

Thanks for the reply nerm.

Ok, VPN settings as follows:

First Tab: General. Everything is grey out, apart from the "Virtual Private Network", which states "allow other to tunnel through the internet to connect to my network", which is ticked

Second Tab: Users. On this tab I have checked the box next to users I wish to allow to connect. The box allow handles to connect without password is unchecked

Third Tab: Networking, under this tab is a list of protocols. I have TCP IP 4, File & Print Sharing and QoS Packet Scheduler checked. There is also TCP/IP 6. Unchecked.

Network Tab: Under the TCP/IP 4 properties box, I have: "Allow users to access my LAN" which is checked, and then what scope of IP's to give to machines. I have set a range, and NOT set it to come from DHCP directly.

Is there away I can test my VPN without having an outside connection? I only have the ability to connect from my house at the moment, so I am not sure if connecting to the VPN from here will be accurate?

Lets say my machines are getting DNS from my ISP, what would I need to check/change to force them to use the VPN server also as the DNS server?

Uhh.....I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to accomplish either? You want to use your VPN as your DNS server? Rather confused.

Here is what I want to do.

I have a Windows Server 2008 at my house. IT has several shared areas. (A home drive for each user, and a general Shared area)

I want to connect via VPN to the server from OUTSIDE my house. So when I am at my parents, or a freinds, I can just connect via VPN to the server at MY house.

Purpose of this:

1.) All me to access the shares on the server.

2.) Allow me to pass the internet connection THROUGH my connection at my house.*

* The reason I want this is, that there are some websites here in the UK which can ONLY be viewed from within the UK. For example BBC iPlayer.

However, if I VPN into my server, and the internet traffic passes through my house in the UK, iPlayer will believe I am in the UK.

I have #2 on my list working, and #1 on my list semi working.

Basically, I can access the shares on the server, but ONLY if I passs the server's IP address as the computer name, and NOT its name. So, I have to type : \\192.168.0.20\shared, instead of \\server\shared

This is because the VPN is NOT using the server as the DNS server, it is using the ISP DNS of the location I am at.

Anybody know how I can FORCE the VPN to pass out the IP of itself as the DNS?

Sorry this seems very confusing.

Bottom line, I am trying to configure a VPN SERVER. NOT a VPN client.

"I have 3 users, A, B, C & D." I count 4. lol

Ok first off in order for this to work from an outside source you will need to setup VPN passthrough on your router. Honestly it would be a lot easier for you to setup RDP and pass through port 3389 on your router or even use www.logmein.com.

Thanks for the response.

Yea sorry, I have 3 users, as in A-C, and then a Guest account, D. Sorry.

I already have RDP setup. However, this is not good enough, as not all users are admins, and the ones that are not, would not have the know how on how to use RDP. VPN I can set-up very easy for them, and then all they need to do is double click the connection and enter there Password.

Then use the Shares as they do when they are in the house.

I have VPN pass through set-up on the Router already, and a VPN connection can already be established.

As I mentioned, my problem is that DNS requests from the the connected VPN client are NOT routing through the VPN tunnel. They are going out to the ISP DNS of the remote site.

This causes a problem because the users can then no longer type the name of the Server/Computer they wish to access into Explorer. They require the IP address, which none of the users remember.

To attempt to alleviate this problem I have attempted to use a Server 2003 Virtual machine to handle the VPN side, however this has failed on authentication.

I have tried numerous guides to no avail.

Basically, in the current config, a user VPN's to the host machine (server 2008), they can then browse the web through the house connection, and view the shares using the IP of the machines.

I then tried to use a Server 2003 VM, and this got nowhere, clients could not even connect, the connection hung on "Verifying User name & Password", then timed out with Error 691, 721 or another which I have forgotten.

If anyone knows of a good troubleshooting guide for VPN on Sever 2008 OR Server 2003, id be grateful!

Thanks for all the replies! :)

When making a VPN connection from a remote client, it gets another "connection" show up.

When I then type IP config,

It has 2:

1: The LAN connected to the internet there, this then has the IP information of the LAN there, and the ISP DNS.

2: VPN connection, which has the VPN server as the DNS.

However, it is still not possible to resolve names of the machines on the remote network.

Also, the other issue is, users can ONLY access the Shared area, NOT there own Home areas, despite having permission.

Yes I am using AD. The home folders are set to be mapped as a network drive under the "profile" tab.

The home folders are simply shared folders with locked down permissions.

The error it gives when they try to access the folders is that they do not have permission to view the folder.