Q6600 X38-ds5 Help With Settings.

Hi, I am new to overclocking and the forums and am wanting to overclock my set up to 3 - 3.5ghz. I have used the forum search function but would rather get some good advice specific to my system.

I would like my system to run nice and stable and at a good temp.

Can anyone help or recommend a trustworthy forum member to ask for basic bios settings etc?

My specs are below :)

Any help much appreciated.

Am using CoreTemp to monitor temps.

Q6600 2.4ghz

Gigabyte X38-DS5 Rev.1.0

3x 1gb DDR2-667

Geforce 9600GT

Standard Intel cpu cooler but have ordered Thermaltake v1 cpu cooler which will arrive in the next few weeks.

CoolerMaster Cosmos S Case

5x 120mm Fans.

XP Pro

Well you'll get to 3 but anything beyond and you are clocking the ram, unless you are prepared to get some pc2-6400. Obviously the intel cooler is not designed for overclocking so you picked the new cooler which is want you want but wait until you get it installed and check your temps then. Also find out yout VID as that will probably determine your prospective overclock.

Well you'll get to 3 but anything beyond and you are clocking the ram, unless you are prepared to get some pc2-6400. Obviously the intel cooler is not designed for overclocking so you picked the new cooler which is want you want but wait until you get it installed and check your temps then. Also find out yout VID as that will probably determine your prospective overclock.

:withstupid:

Edited by Comp Dude2

VID is the default voltage for your CPU to function at normal speed, in your BIOS the voltage adjustment for your CPU should have a "normal" setting, that is your VID the lower the better.

My VID's are 1.2526v for rig 1 and 1.25v for rig 2, I have seen VID's as low as 1.20v and some can be as high as 1.32v the lower the vcore the more voltage you have to play with when overclocking.

As for RAM you really don't have to spend as much as you think, if you are using XP then 2Gb is fine and if vista then you really want around 4Gb but it will run ok on 2Gb.

PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) will do the job nicely, you can get a good 2 x 1Gb dual channel kit for as little as 50 bucks. It of course won't hurt to get faster RAM if you have the means but don't feel like you absolutely have to in order to get a great overclock on your CPU.

Branjo

Thanks very much for that explanation it was just what i needed.

Ok thanks for your help i will sus out a few things like cooler and ram and then reply again in a few days time hopefully.

Cheers.

PC2-6400 (DDR2-800) will do the job nicely, you can get a good 2 x 1Gb dual channel kit for as little as 50 bucks.

For $25 more you can double that to 2x2 GB. ;)