Memory Oc Difficulties

Dexter

Hello,

I just built my first machine and it runs fine (booted up on a first try), but I have a problem with my ram. I do not know how to overclock it to 1066. RAM is corsair dominator 2x 2gb ddr2 1066 (pc2 8500), but when I look at it in BIOS it shows that it runs at 800. I did some research, but I can't really find a decent guide on where to go in the BIOS. People say to change FSB to 400 (1600 mhz and drop multiplier) and voltage to 2.1 to get memory going at 5-5-5-15 @1066. However that is not much help if I do not know where to go and how to do it. I do not want to experiment and do something stupid. I have never done this before. Also, I have a stock cooler on my CPU and it runs at 39 - 45 C idle. I am not really sure but it seems a bit too high to me. I did not OC CPU since I do not know how to do it anyway. Should I get a different cooler? Any help is appreciated, especially with the memory. I want to get the most out of it. My motherboard it MSI p35 neo 2. Thank you.

as u have changed ur fsb from 266? to 333 u have also oc'ed ur processor. in the 1st pic that u posted it says "adjusted cpu frequency" that is the new speed of ur processor & probably the reason the PC won't boot. to keep ur ram running @ that speed u may have 2 change the "CPU Multiplier". i can see from ur pics that it is currently 9.5. not sure where it is in ur bios. also which processor do u have? is it Core 2 extreme?

as u have changed ur fsb from 266? to 333 u have also oc'ed ur processor. in the 1st pic that u posted it says "adjusted cpu frequency" that is the new speed of ur processor & probably the reason the PC won't boot. to keep ur ram running @ that speed u may have 2 change the "CPU Multiplier". i can see from ur pics that it is currently 9.5. not sure where it is in ur bios. also which processor do u have? is it Core 2 extreme?

I have Intel E8500 and I only changed values for my memory. CPU FSB has a default speed of 333. I can't figure out what would cause the board not to boot. Things that I changed in the bios are: FSB memory ration from auto to 1:1.6 (which is the only one to give me 1066 mhz), timings from default to 5-5-5-15 and voltage for memory to 2.1v. The first pic is after I changes the values and the last is with the default values. According to what I read in the guide this should work, but somehow it causes a total failure. Do you think that I have to change CPU FSB to 400 and drop multiplier to make memory run @ 1066? Although I did not want to OC the CPU, just the memory. Also I do not understand why they sell the memory as 1066 if it runs at 800 by default.

sorry, i misunderstood. i do not understand why ur pc won't boot with those settings. all i can suggest is that u increase ur memory volt to 2.2V & try to boot again. Or run ur RAM @ 5-5-5-18.

I guess I will have to do more research and experimenting. I just do not want to burn something. Thank you for your help anyway. I will post once I find a solution.

I have Intel E8500 and I only changed values for my memory. CPU FSB has a default speed of 333. I can't figure out what would cause the board not to boot. Things that I changed in the bios are: FSB memory ration from auto to 1:1.6 (which is the only one to give me 1066 mhz), timings from default to 5-5-5-15 and voltage for memory to 2.1v. The first pic is after I changes the values and the last is with the default values. According to what I read in the guide this should work, but somehow it causes a total failure. Do you think that I have to change CPU FSB to 400 and drop multiplier to make memory run @ 1066? Although I did not want to OC the CPU, just the memory. Also I do not understand why they sell the memory as 1066 if it runs at 800 by default.

when you increase your memory frequency by that much you may have to also adjust the northbridge voltage a little (northbridge also known as MCH in some bios). I would go 2.2v on the memory also. And the reason it probably downclocked your ram to 800mhz is because that board may not support 1066mhz ram. and maybe try to increase cpu volts up just a little bit, the key is voltage, but not a lot at a time, just increase the voltages in small amounts until you can get to windows then run some stability tests.

when you increase your memory frequency by that much you may have to also adjust the northbridge voltage a little (northbridge also known as MCH in some bios). I would go 2.2v on the memory also. And the reason it probably downclocked your ram to 800mhz is because that board may not support 1066mhz ram. and maybe try to increase cpu volts up just a little bit, the key is voltage, but not a lot at a time, just increase the voltages in small amounts until you can get to windows then run some stability tests.

Do I have to change settings related to CPU or northbridge in order to have my ram running @1066? I only have stock cooler on the CPU right now and I did not want to OC it right now. I checked my motherboard (MSI P35) and it supports 1066 ram so this should not be such a problem. I am doing someting wrong, but I do not know what yet. I will try like philbrown23 suggested to increase values just a little at a time to see if I can get to windows. Thanks.