Total Nooby Needing Help Please

need help clocking my system, ive read most of the guids on here and tryed but cant get stable, i know that no 2 boards and cpus clock the same but anyone with the same sort of setup that could give me a brief description of what they set theres to i could use this as a starting point and go from there, i will be upgrading to watercooling in the next week or sooner with any luck so temps wise i should be ok. any help would be really appreciated thanks...mark.

need help clocking my system, ive read most of the guids on here and tryed but cant get stable, i know that no 2 boards and cpus clock the same but anyone with the same sort of setup that could give me a brief description of what they set theres to i could use this as a starting point and go from there, i will be upgrading to watercooling in the next week or sooner with any luck so temps wise i should be ok. any help would be really appreciated thanks...mark.

where is your projected goal OC wise?

for say like 3.6ghz it's just a matter of setting the ram to ddr800 speed so when you get to 400fsb it's at 800 (so that would be the 400 divider in the bios)

if you can set the fsb strap set it to 266

voltage wise everything should be fine on Auto...other than vcore...you may have to feed that thing like 1.4v to get there but everything else should be fine till then...

asus p5kc,q6600-g0 stepping,4 ghz geil ddr2 black dragon gaming ram, saphire 3870x2,wd250 sata,wd400 sata,wd400 sata, sony 20x dvd-+r, thermaltake 1000w, thermaltake eureka home server case, thermaltake v1 cpu cooler.

tryed 400x9 to get 3.6 with volts at 1.4 but wouldnt boot, droped multiplyer to 8 and am running at 3.2 but is still not stable in prime 95 it reboots after about 10 seconds and cpuz is reading the vcore as 1.416-1.424 set to auto in bios, do u think that might be overkill and is causing the probs....(if you can set the fsb strap set it to 266) couldnt find this in bios not to sure what i was looking for really.lol told u i was a nooby, to many different settings havent got a clue what any of them mean. thanx for the help so far guys. really appreciated if can get stable will be very happy:)

What do you have your ram set to? One to One or divider? What latency? The operating voltage of your RAM is 2.2~2.4V, not much adjustment room so that is probably not it. You could try working with Vdimm a little to see if it helps.

I'm no expert but "strap" is not really a setting you can change. That number is a result multiple of the ram speed and cpu clock speed (sort of). Strap changes automatically with these two settings. This is probably just semantics an we are all saying the same thing.

Have you tested your ram with Memtest98?

Fill out a form like this so the overclockers here can see what you are doing. I've only done one C2D so lack experience.

Ai Overclocking = Manual

CPU Ratio = Manual

- Ratio CMOS Setting = 9

FSB Frequency = 333

PCI-E Frequency = 100

DRAM Frequency = DDR2-667

DRAM Timing Control = Manual

TWR= Auto

TRFC = Auto

TWTR = Auto

TRRD = Auto

TRTP = Auto

DRAM Static Read Control = Auto

DRAM Dynamic Write Control = Auto

Transaction Booster = Disabled

- Relax level = 3

Clock Over-Charging Mode = Auto

CPU Spread Spectrum = Disabled

PCIE Spread Spectrum = Disabled

CPU Voltage = Auto

CPU Voltage Reference = Auto

CPU Voltage Damper = Enabled

CPU PLL = Auto

DRAM Voltage = Auto

FSB Termination Voltage = Auto

North Bridge Voltage = Auto

North Bridge Reference = Auto

Edited by Syngensmyth

Some boards do have a strap setting....

It isnt always called strap but they do have them...Gigabyte is called something else and list it as 2.0/2.1/2.2ect

Mine is called Strap on the Asus P5E...

If you look at these bios screen on the 2nd screen of the Advanced tab you can see the fsb strap to northbridge setting....

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware..._vm_hdmi/3.html

as noted you want to make sure what your ram is set to...make sure it's divider is set to ddr2-400 that way when you try to boot at 400fsb it will register at ddr2-800 speeds...with 1.45vcore it should go no problem if you set the ram right....

am running at 3.6 but not stressed it yet had to bump vcore up to 1.625 in bios, cpuz reads it as 1.576, the temps at the mo are 43c across all cores at idle is this about right, the memory volts are still set to 1.8v do i leave them at this or would i benefit from upping them? thanx...mark.

uped vcore again now at 1.685-cpuz 1.600, temps at 45 idle, struggling to get stable. gonna give up for the night before i get totally stressed and jump all over it. thanx to every for the help so far gonna look at trying to get me my watercooling in the next couple of days as i dont like the high temps:(....thanx...mark.