Gigabyte Lan Teaming, Something You Want To Avoid

I got a Gigabyte X48-DQ6, and a Netgear GS108T smart switch,which does support LACP lan teaming.

Now, the onboard realtek lan will never work in LACP, Gigabyte said they are working in their test. Ok, I trust them

I give up LACP, and use the static LAG teaming, but now, UPNP will not always work, especially those require SSDP to work with UPNP, such as MSN. I had also disable the onboard lan and using 2x marvell lan card instead, all working perfectly. I discuss with gigabyte support for WEEKS, and the final conclusion is:

---

DearXXXXXXXX,

In regards to your issue, please test the onboard LAN card in simple environment (without switch , router, teaming) and check if it works or not first. If the problem still remains, we suggest that you contact your retailer/supplier, or, contact with local distributor for further help.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

---

after weeks of discussion, are they trying to saying it just broken, and we will not fix it?

And what my Local distributor say: That is a driver problem, we know it , you need to contact gigabyte for driver update.

Well, if you got a gigabyte board, and got those realtek onboard lan, such as those 4x realtek onboard lan and use LAG/LACP Teaming, then, I really want to hear what is you config and if that working for you, especially UPNP.

I got a Gigabyte X48-DQ6, and a Netgear GS108T smart switch,which does support LACP lan teaming.

Now, the onboard realtek lan will never work in LACP, Gigabyte said they are working in their test. Ok, I trust them

I give up LACP, and use the static LAG teaming, but now, UPNP will not always work, especially those require SSDP to work with UPNP, such as MSN. I had also disable the onboard lan and using 2x marvell lan card instead, all working perfectly. I discuss with gigabyte support for WEEKS, and the final conclusion is:

---

DearXXXXXXXX,

In regards to your issue, please test the onboard LAN card in simple environment (without switch , router, teaming) and check if it works or not first. If the problem still remains, we suggest that you contact your retailer/supplier, or, contact with local distributor for further help.

At last, if you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

---

after weeks of discussion, are they trying to saying it just broken, and we will not fix it?

And what my Local distributor say: That is a driver problem, we know it , you need to contact gigabyte for driver update.

Well, if you got a gigabyte board, and got those realtek onboard lan, such as those 4x realtek onboard lan and use LAG/LACP Teaming, then, I really want to hear what is you config and if that working for you, especially UPNP.

Sounds like a generic answer.

Call them, dont email.

Updated!!!!

Today they tell me My MSN is too old, hey! I am using the 8.5 Windows Live Messenger, a newer one? Beta, Alpha? or what the....

They also ask me to google for Netgear switch, which say that had problem with LACP, I had also try this on a linksys and aother large cisco switch, still didn't. And my Lovely Marvell and Intel adapter working correctly with both LACP and UPNP!!!

Seems gigabyte still want to say that is not their fault, and I will call my lawyer. stay turned!

Complete story, for those want to buy anything from Gigabyte, think twice!

Question - 626488

Sent : 7/4/2008 23:32

Question : Today I switch to another switch from linksys, didn't test for LACP issue yet, but UPNP issue still there, I am using the 8.5 (the windows live messenger) which is latest one, moreover, if I don't use teaming, the UPNP is fine.further more, my marvell and intel gigabyte adapter don't have the same problem, then are you still want to say that is not the onboard lan problem? I had told you in my last post.

There are no Netgear product in Taiwan means nothing, or you try to tell me this motherboard are just for sell and use in Taiwan only?

Lastly, DO I NEED TO GIVE MY LAWYER A CALL? You tell me!

Answer - 625533

Answer : Dear Sir,

As you might googled, there's many firmware version for LACP issue with Netgear switch. In addition, old MSN version might not fully support UPNP . We suggest you contact Netgear and check again. Since there's no such Netgear product avaible in Taiwan, if there's any Netgear swich for testing would be better to duplicate this issue.

Should you have any question,please let us know

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Question - 625533

Sent : 7/2/2008 20:37

Question : I will contact Netgear for the LACP issue

For upnp issue, I had tested:

1. using single onboard lan direct to router, UPNP ok

2. single onboard lan connect to the switch, then to router, UPNP ok

3. teamed as "fail over" mode, UPNP ok

4. using 2x Marvell 88E8053 in LAG/LACP mode, UPNP ok

5, Using onboard lan in LAG/LACP mode, UPNP not always working.

clean enough? this is your issue.

and what did my local distributor (syntnex HK) say?This is Gigabyte problem, they will not give us any help, I need to contact you, Gigabyte for driver update.

So, are you going to release some update of the teaming utility, or just basically tell me: Hey! you got LAG/LACP, but it will never work! we Cheat you!

Answer - 624616

Answer : Dear XXXXXXXXXX

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Question - 624616

Sent : 6/30/2008 19:35

Question : 1. Working LACP (Dynamic) with HP switch? ok I will trry another brand

2. how about the UPNP bug? in LAG/LACP mode, even without any switch and directly connect to router, the UPNP still working for something only, especially for MSN. Router I had try: Buffalo WZr-Rs-G54, WHR-G54, Linksys WRT300N v1.1 WRT600N, and tried offical/DD-WRT/OpenWRT/Tomato Firmware.

Answer - 623485

In regards to your issue, so far we don;t have these two switch in last mails. Thus we had test this MB on HP Procurve switch 6108 J4902A switch hub & CISCO Catalyst 2970 Hub , without problem. Thus, we suggest you test other brand switch if possible. Meanwhile, we will keep looking if ca nfind these switch if possible.

In case if you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact

us. Thank you.

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Question - 623485

Sent : 6/27/2008 13:22

Question : I had received the Lan driver (Version 6.203.0214.2008) from you, and installed, LACP still didn't work, and UPNP still fail when Lan Teaming, I think the problem should be the Realtek Teaming Utility/Protocol, not the Lan Driver, In fact, I had also try the latest one from realtek, Version 6.206.0502.2008.

If you had a more updated version of Realtek Teaming software please let me know.

Answer - 621616

In regards to your issue , we have forward thisissue to RD for further confirm, It might take some time for determine if it's LAN chipset problem. We will contact you once get update .

In case if you need any clarification, please do not hesitate to contact

us. Thank you.

Regards,

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

Question - 621616

Sent : 6/23/2008 12:56

Question : I know what LACP does, but the onboard realtek lan really fail to do LACP, that switch, Netgear 108T, does support LACP, I had used intel 1000PT and marvell 88E8053 to verify it is working, just the onboard realtek didn't work. that realtek teaming protocol really have big bug, and need update.

Regard to another post about UPNP fail when using LACP or FEC/GEC. This a different bug. You can try enable the LACP function an then wait for a while, about 15~30 mins, you will notice that the Teaming protocol blocking all upnp udp packet, which makes MSN fail to find the UPNP router.

You can also try using the LACP yourself with a LACP enabled switch, you will notice that the LACP negotiation didn't work, However, Static LAG does working.

You better pass this mail to your L2/L1 support/engineer to look after this bug.

You, Gigabyte, really need to contact Realtek about this fatal bug, otherwise, all of you product using realtek chips, which claim support teaming, will just fail to work, and I will bring up a law suit about it.

Answer - 615476

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.

About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, The mode needs switch support LACP. LACP is similar with FEC/GEC. But LACP doesn

Edited by DummyPLUG

The above is pretty difficult from a readability point of view (at least I found it a bit difficult).

Anyway, it sounds like Gigabyte have actually spent a bit of time looking into the problem for you, which is hardly what I would call bad support.

Have you done any searching around to see if others are having problems with the Realtek chipset that Gigabyte are using?

If the issue is replicable on another brand of board using the same chipset, then as you recognise towards the end of you transcript, it is probably up to Realtek (maybe in co-operation with Gigabyte) to work on a solution.

I'm not sure why you're threatening law suits, as this sounds like a (possibly) isolated incompatibility issue to me.

• 1 month later...
The above is pretty difficult from a readability point of view (at least I found it a bit difficult).

Anyway, it sounds like Gigabyte have actually spent a bit of time looking into the problem for you, which is hardly what I would call bad support.

Have you done any searching around to see if others are having problems with the Realtek chipset that Gigabyte are using?

If the issue is replicable on another brand of board using the same chipset, then as you recognise towards the end of you transcript, it is probably up to Realtek (maybe in co-operation with Gigabyte) to work on a solution.

I'm not sure why you're threatening law suits, as this sounds like a (possibly) isolated incompatibility issue to me.

Sorry for the difficult readability first.

The Reason that I call them as bad support as both the distributor and Gigabyte refuse to solve the problem, neither Realtek

As Follow Gigabyte said, I take the X48-DQ6, my Intel P1000GT 4 port and 2x marvell to the distributorfor more testing, the result is awful, the distributorcan't get the LACP working at all, even using the switch which Gigabyte suggest. If you got one of these board and try using Teaming, you will know that the driver suck, it had crc error for UDP, LACP handshake problem, even that it didn't work in LAG correctly. These all problems was confirmed by the distributor. After that the distributor ask Gigabyte what is going on, and Gigabyte still say that everything is working correctly.

I was a fans of Gigabyte, but this time I really need a solutions, thus I ask for refund, as the product not working as it description, but the distributor refuse.

I even ask realtek for help, but they didn't reply to my e-mail at all.(expected)

So at the end, Gigabyte refuse to solve the problem, my distributor don't give me a refund, just keep asking me to contact Gigabyte again ang again. Thus I fire a lawsuit to the distributor, which I really don't want to.

There are more and more which I didn't write in the last post, which most about what happen with the distributor and why I am so angry to fire a law suit.

I can't say too much right now, as I had already report to the local consumer council, which help me to fire that law suit.