Ultra-D 939 and Plextor DVD drives issue?

I have the DFI NF3 Ultra-D (939) mobo and a Plextor 716SA DVD burner drive and almost everytime, (8 out of 10) I put a blank disc into the drive my system gets the BSOD. The error messages from microsoft indicates that's its the antivirus but that is bull, it does it with our without the antivirus enabled. It only happens when the drive tries to read a blank disc but not everytime, usually 80% to 90% of the time.

Trouble shooting I've already tried:

Double checked the blank discs: I have placed these same blank discs into other PCs and the DVD drive will read them fine, even though they are blank.

Cableing: I have already replaced the Sata cable which made no difference.

Firmware: I just this morning tried going back to a previous version of the firmware, from 1.11 to 1.09, no help.

Driver: No special drivers installed, uses Windows native drivers.

Here is what the Plextor specifications say: Interface Serial ATA 1.0 (Generation 1). Must support ATAPI command set.

Do the Sata ports on the Ultra-D 939 support this command set?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Tepabajo

I have been using a Plextor SATA dvdrw for ages now on my Ultra-D without problems. I cannot remember the exact model number of the drive though.

What antivirus are you using? Instead of just disabling it, is it possible to completely uninstall it to see if the problem persists? Even when disabled, i believe some AV's still have process' loaded that may be conflicting.

I think I may have found my answer, I won't know until later tonight. This is an except from page 49 of the owners manual.

" Your PX-716SA ships from the factory with no DMA jumper installed.

(The pins are empty.) The empty pins mean the drive is set to Ultra

DMA. This setting should work in most cases, so you don’t have to do

anything more.

With some personal computers that do not have an embedded non-RAID

Serial ATA chipset, the computer may “hang” or crash with the PX-

716SA installed. If this happens, change the PX-716SA to multiword

DMA mode by installing the spare jumper across the two DMA jumper

pins."

I will check this tonight and report back tomorrow.

Wow, talk about not being able to read.... I didnt notice that you had an NF3 and my experiences are with an NF4.

I hope its a simple jumper that will fix your problem. Good Luck :)

Presently my Plextor drive is connected to the #4 Sata port on the mobo, which according to the manual if I'm reading it right, is supported by the nForce 3 Ultra chipset. The Plextor manual says that the data interface needs to support the ATAPI Command set; so the question becomes does the nForce 3 Ultra chipset support the ATAPI Command set? I went to the Nvidia website and viewed the information for nForce 3 and did not see anything that indicated this support. I submitted a question to their tech support anyway so we will see.

Am I off base here or am I on the right track?

I am honestly at a loss. I wish i could help but i dont have the relavent knowledge. I will try to do a little reading and see what i can find.

Have you plugged it in to the other SATA ports to test? I think 2 of the ports run off a different controller.

Officially NF4 wasn't supported for sata optical drives so I can't imagine NF3 ever was. I personally couldn't get the sata drive to run on my NF4 as many other users here on the street as well! At the end we all went back to IDE.

Have you plugged it in to the other SATA ports to test? I think 2 of the ports run off a different controller.

Can't, I have my Raid configured on ports 1 & 2 and don't want to even touch that. I was lucky to get it configured right the first time.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Sata to IDE converter from Newegg so that I can use my secondary IDE as suggested.

Update,

I've tried moving it to my Secondary IDE port using a Sata to IDE Converter card and I still get the BSOD. The system will boot fine and work normal as usual until I go to insert a CD Rom, then BSOD. Not sure if I have to change any other settings in the BIOS. Any ideas? I even tried bringing all my clock settings back to stock just in case the overclock had any affect, still BSOD.

Can't, I have my Raid configured on ports 1 & 2 and don't want to even touch that. I was lucky to get it configured right the first time.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Sata to IDE converter from Newegg so that I can use my secondary IDE as suggested.

Well let me tell you the story about that! It doesn't work always either! Tried that as well in the old good NF4 days! :)

Tep,

Really and truly, straight from my heart . . .

Your best bet is to put that SATA optical drive aside and pick up a good 'ol fashioned IDE optical drive for your board.