Help, please

Kaxx

OK, now it looks like I have a decent steady 3D Mark '06 score for stock GPU. I just hit 12,418. CPU score=3470 this time.

Score1=11,342, SM2.0-4844, HDR-4793, CPU-3408 - 69C max GPU temp

Score2=12,397, SM2.0-5263, HDR-5471, CPU-3466 - 72C max GPU temp

Score3=12,418, SM2.0-5272, HDR-5480, CPU-3470 - 78C max GPU temp

These are all with the GPU @ Stock, CPU @ 3.824, and System RAM @ 851mhz.

I'll start upping the core like you said. At what point do I want to start raising the shader and memory?

(Thank you for bearing with me on this technodanvan)

OK, now it looks like I have a decent steady 3D Mark '06 score for stock GPU. I just hit 12,418. CPU score=3470 this time.

Score1=11,342, SM2.0-4844, HDR-4793, CPU-3408 - 69C max GPU temp

Score2=12,397, SM2.0-5263, HDR-5471, CPU-3466 - 72C max GPU temp

Score3=12,418, SM2.0-5272, HDR-5480, CPU-3470 - 78C max GPU temp

These are all with the GPU @ Stock, CPU @ 3.824, and System RAM @ 851mhz.

I'll start upping the core like you said. At what point do I want to start raising the shader and memory?

(Thank you for bearing with me on this technodanvan)

No problem buddy, my day has pretty much included backing up my CD collection and organizing my existing mp3/flac music so I have a helluva lot of downtime. ;)

That first score was the at stock too? Wonder what happened there....

78C for a single run of 3dmark06? You might consider setting the fan speed to kick on/spool up a bit sooner. Sometimes 100% fan speed won't come on til around 80-90C. Of course an aftermarket cooler is always recommended as well...:)

Anyways, were it me I'd first look at the average overclock other people are getting with the card. I'd probably jump to about 60% of what their overclock is (on core, shader and memory) and test that out for a bit. Once stabiity is ensured at that point I'd begin overclocking much more slowly. Pick one of the clocks and increase it til you can't increase it anymore without artifacts/stability issues.

I'd drop it back down a little from the max for that particular clock and move on to the next one. I.E. max the core, drop it down a bit, then move on to max either shader or memory. Then finally repeat for the third clock.

A few potential problems here that I'm not certain the answer to since I'm way out of the loop.

1. For a time the shader clock was linked to the core clock. Meaning that the shader would be at a certain speed for a set range of core speeds.

2. Also, for a set range of core speeds set the actual core speed was locked in so to speak (similar to the shader above). I believe this was the case for the 8800GTX, but G92 may have changed that.

3. I'm not sure what the most important clock is to begin with. I'd lean toward core clock, but I really don't know.

4. Maxing one clock may limit another clock. You may have to pick and choose which is the most important/gives the best performance.

If Praz doesn't stop in to answer you may want to PM him as he's way more informed and has a bunch more practice at this than I do.

:angel:

Man, I think I'm gonna go crazy with this GPU. I uninstalled Rivatuner 2.07, and installed 2.08. I haven't touched the settings in Rivatuner, so the GPU is still running stock.

Score=13,279, SM2.0-5882, HDR-5841, CPU-3469 MAX GPU temp - 77C

Rivatuner must be screwing things up for me or something...

Rivatuner, Everest, or hardware monitor don't read my fan speeds, therefore I believe it "may" be overheating and underclocking. I wonder what I've done to create this problem?