Help, please

Kaxx

I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong with OC'ing my video card. With default card settings 600/900, I can get over 13,300 3D Mark '06 score. When I set it to 675/975, the score drops down to 11,900. I see no artifacts during the stresstest, so I'm a little confused. I'm using Rivatuner,

for some reason ATI tool always reads my clocks @ 0/0.

I'm trying to find out what I'm doing wrong with OC'ing my video card. With default card settings 600/900, I can get over 13,300 3D Mark '06 score. When I set it to 675/975, the score drops down to 11,900. I see no artifacts during the stresstest, so I'm a little confused. I'm using Rivatuner,

for some reason ATI tool always reads my clocks @ 0/0.

CPU score stays roughly the same during this testing?

Do you get higher scores at say, 630/930, 650/950, etc, etc and then you hit this wall?

What temps are you seeing?

Try running rthdrbl as big as you can while monitoring temps and the clocks to see if it downclocks itself at a specific point.

CPU score stays roughly the same during this testing?

Do you get higher scores at say, 630/930, 650/950, etc, etc and then you hit this wall?

What temps are you seeing?

Try running rthdrbl as big as you can while monitoring temps and the clocks to see if it downclocks itself at a specific point.

Technodanvan:

I'll rerun and check the CPU scores, I made the mistake of not taking screenies of them earlier so I don't know if they changed or not.

I basically run rthdribl (1 large and 2 small instances at the same time) while OC'ing with Rivatuner. Once I reached 700/975, I ran 3D Mark '06 and got like 12,500 or so. I clocked down to 675/975 and received 11,900. As far as other timings (630/930, 650/950, etc.), I don't know where the dropoff begins. I was hoping I was doing something wrong before starting all over again.

I have seen temps of 87C, but was hoping it was a glitch. The rest of my system has great airflow and runs extremely cool.

You may be running the RAM on the graphics card way below spec. The stock clock of the RAM is 1800MHZ effective (DDR rates; i.e. 900MHz SDR) oftentimes for overclocking you have to enter the effective clocks rather than the actual speed.

OK, for some reason when I revert back to stock GPU speeds, I now only get 11,000+ 3D Mark score:

[ATTACH]6396[/ATTACH]

Max GPU temp: 69C

I wonder how I got 13,300 earlier?

You may be running the RAM on the graphics card way below spec. The stock clock of the RAM is 1800MHZ effective (DDR rates; i.e. 900MHz SDR) oftentimes for overclocking you have to enter the effective clocks rather than the actual speed.

I had the RAM running 975 OC'ed through Rivatuner

My point was this; if the overclocking software is based on SDR speeds then they surely would be overclocked to 975x2=1950 (vs 1800 stock); but some overclocking tools use the DDR speeds, in which case 975DDR / 2 = 487.5SDR would be just over half it's rated speed.

My point was this; if the overclocking software is based on SDR speeds then they surely would be overclocked to 975x2=1950 (vs 1800 stock); but some overclocking tools use the DDR speeds, in which case 975DDR / 2 = 487.5SDR would be just over half it's rated speed.

Ohhhhh, I see your point now. I'm using Rivatuner 2.07.

Here is round 2, the CPU score is very close:

[ATTACH]6397[/ATTACH]

Do you have any additional background programs running now? This would really only afect the CPU score more than anything else, but it's hard to tell from those screenshots since they're so small.

Just type in the numbers or host the pics at phtobucket. ;)

Do you have any additional background programs running now? This would really only afect the CPU score more than anything else, but it's hard to tell from those screenshots since they're so small.

Just type in the numbers or host the pics at phtobucket. ;)

Yeah, I noticed that they were coming out small.

Anyway, the CPU score was 3408 @ stock GPU speeds, and 3452 @ 663/951/1657 (GPU/Mem/Shader) speeds as shown in GPU-Z version 0.1.9 and Rivatuner. I have "Everest", "AVG", "Volume", and "Nvidia Settings" running in the taskbar. AVG is not actually scanning, it's just in the taskbar.

So no matter what you do you can't hit 13k+ as you had before?

Seems that run might have been a fluke, I'd say 11k at stock would probably be in line with what is average for that setup. If I recall I had to work a little to hit 12k on an 8800GTX with a dual core Intel.

My system must be a fluke. I just now am hitting nearly 12,400 with stock GPU and OC'ed CPU as before. The CPU score is 3466 this time.

Well...at least your CPU score is consistent. What changes are you seeing for the GPU scores?

Try increasing the core around 20mhz at a time and record the changes in the GPU (and overall) scores. Same thing for the RAM, but don't do them at the same time.