Can't install windows media centre

Hi, there.

Need some help, I have been running vista since 2 weeks since its release, prior to that I was running XP. Anyhow, i'm fed up of vista lately so I bought a copy of XP media centre. Now when I goto install this, once it gets to the final stages of instal i get BSOD mostly from NTFS.sys and a few others.

I have disabled everything in the bios I can, im installing with just one harddisk connected to the nforce 4 controller.

The pc has been stable for about 2 years since I built it, 1 year ago i changed to an opty 165, and one month ago I took a chance with a cheap socket 939 3800x2, its a rocket has been stable at 305mhz x 10 since day one. Orthos for 9 hours (max time i could leave it) and memtested with Gskill la cas2.5 : 610mhz about 6 loops

Now what is odd is that an old xp pro disc I borrowed installs fine. Which makes me think its an update or something or a slight difference with media centre that is causing the issues.

Pc is same as sig but with a nvidia 8800 gts installed.

Any ideas or comments gratefully welcome. I can't even finish the install to check if it becomes stable with updated drivers

• 4 weeks later...

well I finished the install but i cannot get windows xp media centre stable.

So I'm dual booting vista, vista will play games orthos etc fine no problems. But XP MC wont remain stable under any load for more than 10 seconds. I'm running out of ideas now :(. the reason i wanna stay with XP atm is that I have a creative X-Fi and i would rather use my 1 gig of Gskill LA @ cas 2.5 600mhz, rather than 3gig of generic at ddr 400 at Cas 3, which is what I use to get smooth performance out of vista.

Guest Retratserif

600MHZ!? Your ram is rated for 300mhz.

Remove the sound card for now also. Get your basic's out of the way.

I would remove any OC's, then see if its stable.

I have a Xfi-Xtreme Music, and I have no issues with Vista 64.

If your system still is not stable, check the HD for errors. I would do a slow format and try again with no OC's and a basic build.

you should never install windows while your components are OC'd... regardless of how stable it was in orthos with that OC... trth is, Orthos stable and real world stable are entirely different things...

try an install with no OC and see if that helps...

Hihi sorry for noob posting : ) yeah, I meant 300 mhz for my ram not 600 hehe :)

And the soundcard was removed when I had the issues the pc, infact it was down to a single cd drive, and a sata disk, with all non essentials disabled in bios or unplugged. I have since got it stable, for some reason I have found I have to increase my LDT voltage and chipset voltage. I have also found a few nasties though when i stripped the pc. oh and the overclock was dropped as soon as i become unstable :):D. I have been posting in a rush at work etc... missing details out etc

There was corrosion on the back of the graphics card, I cleaned it off and covered the circuitry with Di-Electric grease where affected, its presently working fine. Also the waterblock for the northbridge was blocked through its central channels, however the northbridge has never got that warm os dunno if it was an issue.

Now I still don't understand why I never had an issue with vista and not xp, because I haven't updated a driver in xp or anything significant and it just became stable, so obviously some subtle tweak is all I can guess.

Anyhow atm I have had it orthos stable for 2 hours then I have had to leave the house, go out etc, so I can assume its ok. It ran some loops of 3dmark in xp ok as well.

One thing i have noticed is that I can't attain the overclock I had stable in vista, in vista or xp now. I think I may have to tweak some more settings.

I'm just trying to get this pc sorted with a view to upgrading to a new board ram and processor by the end of the year.

So after all my hassle I reassembled it, with its 6 harddisks a cd drive, front sound breakout-box, water resevoir all in the front (WIRING HELL)! and its all working well.

Oh as for the soundcard, im getting stuttering in vista64 quite badly its making my games chop. Now I didn't have this before I reinstalled vista, i did however allways use digital out before, and will be returning to it soon. So hopefully that will cure it :), at present i'm dual booting so I can test

Thanks for the replies.