Hard Drive Soup

Dang, I'll have to keep this in mind before I let them ship my stuff around...

I think there's a bit more leniency at COT so I might be able to carry my storage drive with me to be safe, but for the most part everything I own will be going in plastic bins. I'm extremely hesistant to let them ship my homemade loudspeakers and $2000 stereo though. I might have them shipped professionally (with hella insurance) or take a week to U-Haul them myself to AZ.

Dang, I'll have to keep this in mind before I let them ship my stuff around...

I think there's a bit more leniency at COT so I might be able to carry my storage drive with me to be safe, but for the most part everything I own will be going in plastic bins. I'm extremely hesistant to let them ship my homemade loudspeakers and $2000 stereo though. I might have them shipped professionally (with hella insurance) or take a week to U-Haul them myself to AZ.

GOOD IDEA! Although your stuff isn't travelling over a major body of water... lol

just make sure they seal your crate up completely. They HAVE to seal up any crate you have stuff in in front of you, and give you the serial numbers fromt he seals. Check them when they deliver at your destination, and if the numbers are different, raise hell!

GOOD IDEA! Although your stuff isn't travelling over a major body of water... lol

just make sure they seal your crate up completely. They HAVE to seal up any crate you have stuff in in front of you, and give you the serial numbers fromt he seals. Check them when they deliver at your destination, and if the numbers are different, raise hell!

Hell maybe I'll just U-Haul everything down. My dad is gung-ho enough to drive it all the way there himself in a U-Haul along with his Harley in the back. Might be a lot safer.

Something I'll consider in the coming months I suppose.

The only real downside of that is I don't really own anything I want to take with me. All my clothes need to be replaced soon anyways but I'm so cheap I'll make them last another 5 years since i hate buying clothes. My computer (while efficient) is pretty outdated and will either be replaced with a cheap laptop during COT or BEE school. I'm giving my only TV to my parents since it's just a 27" non-HD CRT that I couldn't care less about now. Hell, I probably won't even buy a TV my first year in AZ since I really don't watch anything anyways. A monitor will work fine when I care. I'm not going to bother shipping down a bed, I'll just buy a cheap futon when I get there.

Out of everything I own, the only things I really want to take with me are my storage drive (1x 320GB WD) and my 2 loudspeakers. The amp is nice, but i don't need an awesome 7.1 receiver, I'd rather sell it and just get a good old two-channel receiver. I guess by extension that means I need a source for them too...so I guess my DVD/SACD/DVD Audio player and my computer become necessary. Other than that though, everything else is extremely replaceable.

I guess we'll see, basically I'll be set up with an apartment while at BEE school so depending on the weight limit assigned I'll take my desk and dresser too. I'm supposed to be taking it pretty easy on my paycheck so most can go towards paying off my debts. I'm sure I'll splurge here and there, but I'd like to get by on the bare minimum until my credit cards are paid off which probably won't happen til around this time next year.

*sigh*

Aren't HDD,s pretty well sealed??? you might be ok if they are dry enough and you clean all the contacts pretty good with alcohol, try them in a old system of course though, Fingers crossed you can resurrect them with all that German p0rn goodness intact.... hehe:D

After working through the aftermath of Katrina and Rita I wish you the best of luck. We had almost no luck using "shop" techniques and even DriveSavers had limited success

Current drives are "sealed" but they have a bladder of some sort that lets the atmospheric pressure equalize inside and out. The problem is that just a few inches of water is enough to overcome the bladder and render the drive as useful as a boat anchor(obligatory nautical jargon).

Once a drive gets evidence of sitting in water, your chances are slim to none of finding it operational.

From the pic you provided I can see that the SATA data and power connectors show signs of oxidation which is a good indicator that things are much worse on the PCB. The signs of electrolysis between the different metals means lots of nasty things happened.

They drop it in the fxxxin ocean or something? That's not just leaving it out in the rain or dropping it in some pothole puddle. It looks like it was completely submerged.

I've had to move a lot. All the stuff I care about most, which happens to be mostly electronics like my computer, I don't trust the movers with. I throw that stuff in the car so I either move it myself or if I have to get my car shipped there is a single point of failure. Movers typically send out one truck & crew to pick the stuff up, then they move it another truck with a new crew, then they unload it somewhere where another crew takes care it from there. I hate to generalize but if you know anyone who is a mover than you'll know its not uncommon for them to go through people's stuff.

When I get my car crated I make sure I pick someone who will be there when they pick it up and be there when they drop it off. Less hands on my . the better. If something is missing they know I'll come for them.

Techno: If you take the U-Haul approach, might I recommend ALWAYS parking that thing so that the back door of the truck is unreachable. Lot's of people move across the country with no problems, but they are still popular targets at hotels. Just a suggestion. :)

There's no oxidation on the connectors at all... don't know what you're seeing? ust lighting in the photo I guess...

It looked more like the crate sat in the pouring rain for weeks... all the stuff in plastic bins came back fine, and they're not sealed much at all... if it were submerged, it all would have been toast...

I'll find out tomorrow, got everything back together finally. I would have found out tonight, but guess what I forgot to get...

frackin water ^^