Opt 144, a waste?

Squeezing a bit more out of my 939 on a budget.

Opt 144 or 4000+ Clawhammer both relatively same price. Just wasn't sure after overclocking the opti how well it will perform. One main thing I'm worried about is I really want to avoid a reformat. I've heard going from just a a64 single to dual/opt is hit or miss, not sure on an opt single core though..... and have seen the instruction post (i forget who wrote it).

Bumping up to 2x1gb and an 8600gt-ish card. Just wondering if dropping $60 on a mediocre 939 processor will be a noticable difference than my processor seen below

Otherwise I may just forum/ebay an x2 or something, however used processors scare me.

Suppa has a good point there!

The 3000 Venice used to O/C very nicely! I had one that I ran at 2650 for a year and a half without any issues. It topped out at 2750, but wasn't stable at that speed.

My first Opty was a 144, and I got about 2800 out of it. It ran stable at 2750, which is where I kept it for most of the time I had it.

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ya, so get some ram, upgrade the video card, and from a 6600 to a 8600 is a good upgrade, i saw major improvements :D

and if ur going 8600, go GTS :)

• 4 weeks later...

At this stage I wouldnt recommend an 8600 from what little I know. The 8600GT has similar performance as the 7600GT, so unless you need dx10 I would either save some money and get a 7 series or spend alittle more and get a 9600GT/8800GT. 7 series will be noticable jump from the 6 series. I got my 7600GT ~1.5yrs ago for $100 on sale(day after thanksgiving) and they haven't dropped much, well $70 after rebate.

I would OC the cpu you have if its not allready or go for the dual core, 3800 are good if you can find one

Definately not much of a difference between your 3000 and a 144. If you must then yeah the dual core would give you a better advantage. If you are primarily looking for more gaming performance then yeah as SnipA said, 2gigs of ram and a better Video Card would be a better investment. If you can get 2.6 gig or better out of your current cpu then you are okay. Thats my two-cents.