Abit IP35-E or Gigabyte DS3L or DS3R

Good old OCZ! I never had a set of Ballistix which lasted longer than 6 months! But they run like the were made in hell! He He!

No kidding. I really want to put them back in my Ubuntu 64bit rig, but the Ballistix keep disappointing me. So back in go the OCZ. They are running no problem at 4-5-4-15. I haven't even tried to tighten any of the other timings available to me yet.

I am going to ship this Ballistix set back in the AM tomorrow...packing them up tonight.

This $99 deal I got from the egg is getting more expensive every time I send them back....by $7 each time. One more RMA and I will be up to the price that Crucial is charging for them direct.

No kidding. I really want to put them back in my Ubuntu 64bit rig, but the Ballistix keep disappointing me. So back in go the OCZ. They are running no problem at 4-5-4-15. I haven't even tried to tighten any of the other timings available to me yet.

I am going to ship this Ballistix set back in the AM tomorrow...packing them up tonight.

This $99 deal I got from the egg is getting more expensive every time I send them back....by $7 each time. One more RMA and I will be up to the price that Crucial is charging for them direct.

This sucks! When you get them back just get rid of them as new!

Thanks all for the responses :) I've decided on the DS3R for sure, mainly for the extra 4 SATA ports.

Now I'm trying to narrow down what RAM to pair with this board. I started a thread over in the memory section, but it hasn't garnered any responses so I thought I'd try here. I've copied and pasted it below. Thanks!

-------

This will be my first time playing with DDR2. My last set of RAM was a set of G.Skill HZ DDR sticks and while they were a bit finicky getting started I've been very happy with them. From my experience RAM is usually the biggest hassle of a good stable overclock. I'm hoping to get to 3Ghz with an Intel E2180 on a Gigabyte DS3R board, but I'll be happy with whatever. I've started trying to gather info on good solid budget memory to pair with setup but there is a ton of good priced RAM out there and I'm having trouble narrowing it down.

I'm shooting for spending ~$50 or less on a 2x1GB set. That price isn't set in stone, just looking for the best bang for the buck.

Here are some of the sets that I've been trying to find out more about.

G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ

$45

Thoughts: I've been happy with my current G.Skill sticks, price is right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820231098

Crucial Ballistix BL2KIT12864AA804

$65 - $25 = $40 (AR)

Thoughts: I hear a lot about these sticks, seems people love them but have a lot of returns?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146565

OCZ Reaper HPC Edition OCZ2RPR8002GK

$70 - $25 = $45 (AR)

Thoughts: Heatpipes seems a bit much, but hey if it works and doesn't get in the way of the cpu heatsink.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227231

Mushkin with EPP Profile 996533

$60 - $10 = $50 (AR)

Thoughts: Don't know much about mushkin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146673

CORSAIR XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX

$92 - $40 = $52 (AR)

Thoughts: Nice timings, mixed reviews, not worth the $40 rebate risk unless these are amazing sticks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145177

As always I'm open to any and all suggestions. These are just the sticks that have caught my eye so far.

-Mid

I tend to view components that im unsure about by newegg reviews, the G.Skill NQ reviews are over 1400, so a serious amount of people are very happy with them. Not going to break any overclock records but the numbers speak for themselves. If overclocking CPU and RAM is a big issue then the ballistix are right up there with the best of them in the low price bracket but yes the risk of a dead or dying stick is alot higher too. The G.Skill HZ's while they are pricey you would be hard pushed to find a dissatisfied customer. I love my Firestix I got them for $104 but now on the egg they are up to $160 and thats just too much compared to other sticks that use the desirable D9 chips. OCZ is a serious company that make quality components, expensive but you get exactly what you pay for, plus support is very good.

If its budget your after then I myself would go for the G.Skill NQ's but the OCZ Reapers's would make me spend a little extra for the cooling, which will come in very handy when you OC them.

BTW none of those links are working for me ;)

Thanks for the reply, fixed the links.

Right now I'm probably going to go with either the GSkills or the OCZ Reapers. I'm leaning a bit towards the Gskills at this point.

I do the same as you, I take the number of newegg reviews and the overall ratings as a great rule of thumb for finding good solid products that perform well for the price. Of course there is a long mathematical formula for determining how many of the idiots and their bad ratings to ignore based on the complexity of the product. :)

My concern with the OCZ is that from what I've found these Reaper sticks are the bottom end of the Reaper line, so I'm worried that these are probably the sticks that didn't make the cut at the higher levels. That and clearance issues with whatever heatsink I choose.

-Mid

I had a pair of Gskill and they sucked on my GA-P35-DQ6. Now I get these and they rock! DDR1200 at 2.1V. $79 after rebate!

The same model Gskills I'm looking at?

Those are pretty nice looking. Ha, I love that when building computers the next level of performance is always just outside your budget, and its easy for me to talk myself into "Well for just $20-30 more" That adds up over several components :)

I'll definitely look into those a bit more, and see if I can justify the higher price. It's very tempting, but I'm thinking probably not. I'm shooting for a decent overclock on a budget chip so my goals are a bit different.

-Mid

Yeah people that make bad reviews usually 2 eggs or less could nearly all be blamed on the UPS post person that delivered it. Or they give the dumbest reason for a bad review "arrived DOA this ram sucks" ....Huh?

My first slot has very little clearance too, but you can always use slots 2 and 4, I don't think it would make a difference, don't quote me on that though lol.

Taking a chance on the Ballistix might (and probably will) be worth it. I would say for the price its well worth the gamble considering they overclock pretty decently. Taowulf has had a pretty bad experience with them though so its a gamble, but isn't everything lol