Setting up a fresh RAID setup. Does this look fine?

GutBuster

First off, thank you for looking. I've been searching the forums for a while now and feel I found a sufficient blueprint for my system, I would just like some feedback to gauge your opinion. I'm currently upgrading the rig in my sig with the following:

- 4x250GB SATA 16mb WD's

- 4x512 OCZ Platinum

- AMD 64 X2 4200+

Anyways, the following is how I plan on mapping my HD's (FRESH setup):

---------------------------------------

2x250 WD SATA 16mb - RAID0

C = XP (35G)

D = XP 64 (35G)

E = Vista 64 (50G)

F = Linux (???G) --- How much would you recommend for a Linux partition?*

G = Storage (???G - 380G) --- Depends on Linux partition, obviously.

*Thinking about going with Ubuntu.

2x250 WD SATA 16mb - RAID0

H = Page File (4G-5G???) --- How big IYO should I make this???

I = Storage (Rest of the drive, obviously)

---------------------------------------

So, I basically took the above setup from soundx98 in another thread (http://diy-street.com/forum/showpost.php?p...370&postcount=5), his HD sizes are almost identical to mine, and it seems to be the most logical to my needs and how I was hoping to set it up. Also, what are these "optical drives" people are referring to when they are listing their HDD mapping?

Also, would it be recommended to, while installing XP on the "C" drive of my first RAID0 bank, to THEN setup all of my partitions? Or would you recommend I install XP first and then later map out my partitions with a program such as gparted or partition magic?

If you have ANY suggestions, or ANY other methods you would execute PLEASE leave me your piece of mind. So for such a long post, I'm just trying to have all my bases covered, and trust the feedback from this community then any other on the net.

[/rant]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks pretty good.

It depends on what you are doing with your Linux partition. If you are a novice and just want to tinker I would say 15GB, if you start getting into it a little heavier you can always resize your partition in Linux. But be aware by default ubuntu will make several partitions (probably 3) and they don't necessarily have a drive letter associated with them because its not a FAT, or NTFS file system. To Windows it will just look like a hunk of space, unless you use ext3 and load a special driver in Windows so you can read your Linux partitions.

As for the swap file, it would probably be good to have 2 different ones for your Linux, and Windows OS's. The rule of thumb is usually to make them twice the size of your physical memory, so in your case 4GB should suffice.

An optical drive is a CD, DVD, or and other type of removable disk drive. Virtual drives are also possible and this might have been what they were referring to.

That looks pretty good.

It depends on what you are doing with your Linux partition. If you are a novice and just want to tinker I would say 15GB, if you start getting into it a little heavier you can always resize your partition in Linux. But be aware by default ubuntu will make several partitions (probably 3) and they don't necessarily have a drive letter associated with them because its not a FAT, or NTFS file system. To Windows it will just look like a hunk of space, unless you use ext3 and load a special driver in Windows so you can read your Linux partitions.

As for the swap file, it would probably be good to have 2 different ones for your Linux, and Windows OS's. The rule of thumb is usually to make them twice the size of your physical memory, so in your case 4GB should suffice.

An optical drive is a CD, DVD, or and other type of removable disk drive. Virtual drives are also possible and this might have been what they were referring to.

Thanks for your input. I may just scrap Linux for now, and later on play with it on my other rig or play with the CD bootable version.

Yeah, that's what I was wondering, if it was a virtual drive to mount ISO's to and such. I guess I worded my question wrong.

Thanks for your input. I may just scrap Linux for now, and later on play with it on my other rig or play with the CD bootable version.

Yeah, I was aware of what a "optical" drive was, but was basically wondering what you said, if it was a virtual drive to mount ISO's to and such. I guess I worded my question wrong.

You always have the option of playing with Linux under Windows as a virtual mchine. I would highly recommend VMware Server for this task, its free and its the very best virtualization solution on the market today.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

You always have the option of playing with Linux under Windows as a virtual mchine. I would highly recommend VMware Server for this task, its free and its the very best virtualization solution on the market today.

http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

Awesome, thank you for that.

Do you have any input on this:

Also, would it be recommended to, while installing XP on the "C" drive of my first RAID0 bank, to THEN setup all of my partitions? Or would you recommend I install XP first and then later map out my partitions with a program such as gparted or partition magic?

???

What I would do, since windows has a nasty habit of putting system files and mbr's on random partitions when you do a fresh install if you give it anything other than one fresh partition to look at.......Install XP, then install XP x64, then create your other partitions in windows (let me know if you don't know how) and make sure you make the new partitions "primary" and not extended or anything else.

What I would do, since windows has a nasty habit of putting system files and mbr's on random partitions when you do a fresh install if you give it anything other than one fresh partition to look at.......Install XP, then install XP x64, then create your other partitions in windows (let me know if you don't know how) and make sure you make the new partitions "primary" and not extended or anything else.

Yeah, I've never dealt with partitions before, so this is all new to me. Although, I have been reading the boards and know that partition magic and gparted are the popular choices, I just don't know how to go about setting them up (not the programs, but the optimal way of building partitions), etc.

So yeah, give me what you got... lol.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Yeah, I've never dealt with partitions before, so this is all new to me. Although, I have been reading the boards and know that partition magic and gparted are the popular choices, I just don't know how to go about setting them up (not the programs, but the optimal way of building partitions), etc.

So yeah, give me what you got... lol.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Well when you go into your XP installation just use press "c" when you get to the partition manager, and create your first OS partition. Don't do anything else but install on that partition. Then do the same thing for your XP x64 install right after you get XP installed. Then after that you can go into either OS (doesn't really matter which one) and get to your disk management MMC. You can do this by right clicking "My Computer" and going to manage. You will then probably have to format the existing space. Chose primary partition and format the space you want.

On a side note, but very important. For your "My Documents" folder 30 some odd GB of space will probably not be enough for any type of storage. So I would suggest that you remap your "My Documents" folder by going to Start> right click "My Documents" and go to properties> chose the "Target" tab> then select "Move"> chose your storage drive (you can just use the root drive letter, or create a separate folder for your docs). Now when you open up your "My Documents" it will use your storage drive, but everything will look as it did before. But be aware there are a couple games out there that don't like this setup and you will have to change your location back to c:/ while running them. World in Conflict is one of them.

Well when you go into your XP installation just use press "c" when you get to the partition manager, and create your first OS partition. Don't do anything else but install on that partition. Then do the same thing for your XP x64 install right after you get XP installed. Then after that you can go into either OS (doesn't really matter which one) and get to your disk management MMC. You can do this by right clicking "My Computer" and going to manage. You will then probably have to format the existing space. Chose primary partition and format the space you want.

On a side note, but very important. For your "My Documents" folder 30 some odd GB of space will probably not be enough for any type of storage. So I would suggest that you remap your "My Documents" folder by going to Start> right click "My Documents" and go to properties> chose the "Target" tab> then select "Move"> chose your storage drive (you can just use the root drive letter, or create a separate folder for your docs). Now when you open up your "My Documents" it will use your storage drive, but everything will look as it did before. But be aware there are a couple games out there that don't like this setup and you will have to change your location back to c:/ while running them. World in Conflict is one of them.

Ok, that should be easy enough. After I do my XP and XP 64bit i should then setup my partitions including the one for vista? or should i install vista like you explained with XP?

Also, you're saying to re-map the "my documents" folders of BOTH XP and XP 64? I don't ever use the "my documents" folders, could I just axe them? Or maybe i'll just re-map them like you say. Do they contain any vital info?

Ok, that should be easy enough. After I do my XP and XP 64bit i should then setup my partitions including the one for vista? or should i install vista like you explained with XP?

Also, you're saying to re-map the "my documents" folders of BOTH XP and XP 64? I don't ever use the "my documents" folders, could I just axe them? Or maybe i'll just re-map them like you say. Do they contain any vital info?

Oh forgot about Vista....yes same with Vista as the XP installs.

The "My Documents" is a vital component and cannot be deleted. So I would suggest moving it, you don't have to, but you can if you want.

Oh forgot about Vista....yes same with Vista as the XP installs.

The "My Documents" is a vital component and cannot be deleted. So I would suggest moving it, you don't have to, but you can if you want.

If I don't use them, could I leave them in their default positions w/ the OS? Or would you still suggest moving them? I guess if 35G isn't big enough I could open it up a bit. Just, I have always made my own folders and stored my files there instead of utilizing the "my document" folders. Maybe it would be smart to use them instead?

Also, if I mapped all three (XP, XP64 & vista) all to my storage partition, will I have 3 "Documents and Settings" folders?

If I don't use them, could I leave them in their default positions w/ the OS? Or would you still suggest moving them? I guess if 35G isn't big enough I could open it up a bit. Just, I have always made my own folders and stored my files there instead of utilizing the "my document" folders. Maybe it would be smart to use them instead?

Also, if I mapped all three (XP, XP64 & vista) all to my storage partition, will I have 3 "Documents and Settings" folders?

The reason I do this is because if I have to reinstall my OS all my save games and any data that gets thrown in the "My Docs" directory is saved to your storage drive.

And no you would only have 1 documents and settings folder. Thats the beauty of it. There is another advantage to doing this....I just can't remember it at the moment.