Correct procedure after flashing & others

Hi All, I'll soon have my NF4 Expert up and running but I have several questions to put to previous owners of this board so that I can get things right from the start.

(i) are there any issues regarding ACPI and HAL's with this board and which ACPI should I use on a clean install? (I'll be using a single core Opty to begin with).

(ii) when clearing the CMOS after flashing, do you need to remove the battery as standard procedure?

(iii) which drivers should I use and are there any issues with the IDE drivers in the above ^^^^ package?

(iv) is there a particular BIOS that favours different memory? For example which BIOS would suit GSkill PC4000 RAM? And Corsair BH5 RAM?

Thanks for any help! :)

Hello,

There are no issues with the HAL configurations,

- Single core ACPI Uniprocessor

- Dual core ACPI Multiprocessor

You shouldn't need to change this, just make sure your XP CD has SP2 already on it.

With latest nvidia driver there are no issues with the IDE drivers.

(Do not install the network access manager software/nvidia firewall).

Stick with the latest official BIOS.

According to the official DIY clear CMOS procedure (link in my sig) you should not remove the battery for a clear CMOS of the Expert or Venus.

Hi radodrill, I have seen and read the post by ExRoadie describing the proper Clear CMOS recovery from a "no boot" condition and it was this post that prompted me to ask the question about removing the battery. Apparently this procedure is not to be confused with a normal CMOS Clear and so I am still confused about what I should do. Can it also apply to a normal CMOS Clear is what I would like to know. The following link describes the 'official' DFI Clear CMOS procedure and yet it does not mention Not removing the battery.

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showpost.p...964&postcount=4

So can anyone confirm the correct method to use with the Expert?

Hello,

There are no issues with the HAL configurations,

- Single core ACPI Uniprocessor

- Dual core ACPI Multiprocessor

You shouldn't need to change this, just make sure your XP CD has SP2 already on it.

With latest nvidia driver there are no issues with the IDE drivers.

(Do not install the network access manager software/nvidia firewall).

Stick with the latest official BIOS.

Hi Sharp, according to Shinobi's post about ACPI & HAL's Explained both the HAL configurations you listed above apply to multiple processor motherboards and which the Expert is not. Should I not use the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC which applies to a single processor motherboard with single processor? Like I did with the NFII? Or do the above HALs work just fine?

If I swap the processor for a dual-core model will I have to do a clean install to change the HAL to ACPI Multiprocessor? I know from the NFII days that it is quite difficult to change the HAL in Device Manager and that it doesn't always succeed. Is there not one that will do for both single core and dual core processors?

My XP CD does contain SP2 BTW.

I'm glad there are no issues with the IDE drivers, if I had a SATA DVD drive then I wouldn't need to install the IDE drivers at all. What is your opinion on using MS default IDE driver instead of the latest nVidia offering? Purely to keep the install as lean as possible. :)

Hey Sharp, I'm no stranger to DIY Street - my post count went back to 0 after I changed my user-name recently. Whereabouts are you from in the UK?

did you just create a new account? having multiple accounts is not allowed, if you'd like your username changed you should PM an admin.

did you just create a new account? having multiple accounts is not allowed, if you'd like your username changed you should PM an admin.

Yes, I created the new account some weeks ago. I was not allowed to change my username whilst keeping my old account because it would have created too much administrative work for staff. So my previous account was frozen instead of being deleted - again because deleting the account creates unnecessary work for admin staff. It's all legit and above board, Angry_Games dealt with it personally. :P