8 gigs of RAM help or hurt Vista 64?

Guest ElAguila

Part of whether or not it helps depends on what you use your machine for. If you do a lot of video/audio encoding/editing it should help you out. I did notice an improvement when I went from 2GB to 4GB. I have been thinking about going to 8GB. The program I use to edit my movie audio files will allow me to select my ram for storing the temporary file that it creates. Since the movie audio files can be large, 8GB would work much better. If you are gaming I don't think there would be much of an improvement.

Guest ElAguila

That article mentioned some adjustments that could be made so that the 32bit apps could see up to 4gb of ram. Does anyone know that these adjustments are?

If you want to see the full 4GB install SP1. Microsoft redid it so that the correct amount of memory installed is displayed instead of what is actually available for use.

That article mentioned some adjustments that could be made so that the 32bit apps could see up to 4gb of ram. Does anyone know that these adjustments are?

It's probably is referring to the PAE or the 3GIG switch on the boot.ini

I started with 2x1gb and vista x64 idled at 700MB. i moved to 2x2gb and it idled around 900mb. i finally upgraded to 4x2gb and it now idles around 1.3gb. basically what i'm getting at is vista uses a fixed % of ram to store things you access regularly. so, the more the memory the faster vista runs.

one word for you...superfetch