Air or Water?

Guest RandallTank_merged

For stock speeds...sure but for overclocking no way. When I had my CPU at 3.4ghz my WC loop kept it under 45c and thats not with top of the line equipment either. With a Tuniq and OC you'll most likely see in the mid 50's at load. Idle temps are usually low no matter what though.

It's quite possible that those comparisons were to watercooling kits such as the ThermalTake Bigwater as well as Koolance products; these kits are very sub-par on average only perform about the same as a good heatpipe cooler (such as the Tuniq).

Quality H2O systems will outperform any aircooler. The companies I consider to produce the best watercooling components are DangerDen, Swiftech, EK-Waterblocks, D-Tek, Thermochill, Hardware Labs, and LIANG.

I have components from all of the companies that Radodrill listed as "best watercooling components". I also have some Tuniq Towers, Extreme 120s and some of the other high end air coolers. After using all of these on various dual and quad-core processors it becomes obvious that the choice comes down to the amount an individual is willing to spend. You have to decide if 3 to 4 time the cost of the 120 is worth the performance gain you will see for a 24/7 rig.

I personally find that the higher cost for water is well worth it (especially when overclocking); but getting a cheap kit just to have water is more trouble than it's worth, in that case a high-end air cooler is a more prudent choice.