Can't get past 2.2 on my X2 3800

Hi all

I apologize for the somewhat duplicate posting, regarding my original posting of oc my AMD64 3000

I recently upgraded to an X2 3800 and with the help of the AMD64 definitive oc guide was able, oddly enough, to take my new proc to the same oc speed as my ole 3000, 2.2Ghz.

I have some Qimonda ram, generic I think, that is currently running at DDR333 speeds. I am unable to get it to DDR400 using the dividers as it will crash using my current FSB setting.

I have seen other with the same proc running at 2.6 or more. Is my ram holding me back? Is there something else I can do, voltages maybe, to get my proc over this 2.2G hump?

Thanks for any tips as I am sure I can get more speed out of the processor.

have you read the 'definative overclocking guide'? a search here should bring up that sticky...

to test your CPU's top end, put your ram on a low divider, like 100 or 133, then clock the cpu and adjust the CPU vid as needed to increase the clock until you can't go any further.....

if you get a higher stable OC, then you know it is your ram and you need to adjust the divider and possibly some ram timings. obviously, if you still can't get a higher clock, then more than likely it is your CPU holding you back.

you say Ultra PS, what model and watt rating???

laterzzzz....

I have read the guide and followed the directions.

I have determined, from the guide, that my highest divider setting is 188. If I set it to 200, my rig wont' boot. I haven't tried my cpu vid settings at this point.

My power supply is Ultra XConnect 500W with 34a on the +12 rail.

I have read the guide and followed the directions.

I have determined, from the guide, that my highest divider setting is 188. If I set it to 200, my rig wont' boot. I haven't tried my cpu vid settings at this point.

My power supply is Ultra XConnect 500W with 34a on the +12 rail.

ehuu.... you asked for help to get over 2.2GHz & bldegle2 told you to lower your divider down, yet you have replied saying 188 boots yet 200 wont. You are going the wrong way read his reply again then try again this time lowering your memory speed to keep it out of the equation, I am sure you will find his reply helps you.

CN :)

I forgot to mention in my last post that I had done what the guide states.

I lowered my divider to 100 and pushed the fsb as far as it would go. I then increased the divider up to as far as it would go before Windows wouldn't load, which in my case is 188.

The only thing I haven't done according to the guide and Bldegle is to play with the cpu vid.

Sorry for any confusion :)

"I lowered my divider to 100 and pushed the fsb as far as it would go. I then increased the divider up to as far as it would go before Windows wouldn't load, which in my case is 188."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

could you please clarify some things, it helps cause you are there and we are here, yanowhatImeanjellybean?

first, when you did test your CPU and the divider was @100 for the ram, how far could you go with the HTT/FSB and how high did your CPU actually go, if it got 2.2 on stock volts (assuming this, not sure), then a slight boost to the CPU vid may get you to 2.4, depending on your cooling....

knowing this would have made a difference in my/our answers.

LOL.

Laterzzzz....

Haha, sorry for the very unclear posts on my part regarding my problem.

Here is what I have done so far:

I followed the guide and lowered my ram divider to 100, then slowly increased the fsb on my board. Each time I ran SuperPI. I was able to get my fsb to 225 before the system wouldn't boot. This was with the multi set to 10X.

I then set the multi to 7X and tried increasing the ram divider, but my system wouldn't even boot upon setting the multi to 7X. I then set it back to 10X and increased the ram divider until the system wouldn't boot, which is 188.

All this was done with a stock cpu cooler and stock voltages to the cpu. I was able at one point to get my system to post at 2.3Ghz, but it didn't stay very stable for long.

Thanks again and I hope I have this is much clearer than my orginal posts.

:)

some of the lower x's won't work.

as far as your clockage goes, a better CPU cooler and a bump in the voltage will prolly get you 2.4 stable, each cpu varies on total headroom, some barely clock, others are monster, mostly has to do with the stepping, beginning or end of the sillycon pour, beginning usually not so good, later usually much better (refined processing with time).

laterzzzz

In regards to the cpu vid, I have turned it off from auto. I then selected 1.375 volts, but this new setting doesn't seem to be reflected in the cpu voltage section of the bios page. It still shows 1.33 regardless of my cpu vid selection.

Is there something I have to do in order to enable cpu voltage changes in the bios, as these are "grayed" out for me now.

Thanks again.

In regards to the cpu vid, I have turned it off from auto. I then selected 1.375 volts, but this new setting doesn't seem to be reflected in the cpu voltage section of the bios page. It still shows 1.33 regardless of my cpu vid selection.

Is there something I have to do in order to enable cpu voltage changes in the bios, as these are "grayed" out for me now.

Thanks again.

The voltage you changed has not been applied yet, reboot & go back into BIOS & you will see it has changed.

CN :)

Using the Cpu Vid and Cpu Vid Special Control I was able to get my proc to 2.35Ghz from 2.20Ghz. Not much, but every bit helps I guess.

I tried to get it to 2.4, but Windows wouldn't boot. I tried playing with the HTT multi, but no luck. This was using the 100 divider in the bios settings.

Thanks again.