[Resolved] Q6600 - Hotter than I thought

Guest r3d c0m3t_merged

I know of two TEC blocks at the moment, Swiftech's MCW6500-T, and the cheaper MCW60-T.

Which one is better?

Honestly I don't know as I haven't used either but on specs the MCW6500-T pumps 225w where as the MCW60-T is 188w so obviously its less powerful which would answer the question for me.

CN :)

Guest r3d c0m3t

For the time being, what would be an excellent HSF for the Q6600 so I can start overclocking like mad again?

I've been considering the Monsoon II, and the Tt Big Typhoon as of late...

For the time being, what would be an excellent HSF for the Q6600 so I can start overclocking like mad again?

I've been considering the Monsoon II, and the Tt Big Typhoon as of late...

The best available right now is the Ultra-120 eXtreme. Close in performance to mid-range watercooling.

Guest r3d c0m3t

Great. Just for the sake of comparison, how does the IFX-14 compare to the Ultra-120 Extreme? Better? Worse? Alike, but more expensive?

Great. Just for the sake of comparison, how does the IFX-14 compare to the Ultra-120 Extreme? Better? Worse? Alike, but more expensive?

From what I read they're about the same as long as you keep the same fans on each. The IFX has a few more fan options, and technically you might be able to get 3 silent fans on there to produce around the same results as two slightly noisier fans on the 120, but the difference is so minimal there's no reason to blow the money.

Oh, and at least one reason not to - the IFX is huge. The 120 is big enough, and you might risk having memory incompatibilities on the IFX. Not to mention it might not fit in your case. (fit okay in the Lian-Li V2000 for the record, though I had to remove some of the fans I had on my side panel :()

Guest r3d c0m3t

I ran into another compact water-cooling kit the other day, the Swiftech H20-120 Compact, the difference is it requires modest assembly, and according to a review it cools a QX6850 pretty damn well.

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5142

I think I'll go down this route, as it cools far better than my current solution (which wasn't intended for quads, but I was stuck with it from my previous build)

Any opposition?

If you can handle the noise!!

Id really look into lapping ur CPU. My rig is all running on air, yes i know its not a huge OC, but the relative heat output is probably similar to your overclocked 6600, dependent on the voltage your putting through it and your ambient temps of course. my proc is lapped and only had the smallest correctly applied amount of thermal paste (AS5). I get idle 35-40 and load of 70-75 which is fine on a G0.

This is using the Zalman 9700 FYI.

Yeah, 46dBA is about as loud as you'd be able to stand!

Another thing to consider is that you wouldn't want to run one of those Ultra Kaze's from a MB fan header! Definitely either a 4-pin Molex or from a fan controller.