Abit IX38 Quad GT

Went retail today just *issed it wasn't me that got the board, have one on pre-orderpre-order Abit iX38 QuadGT Tammy Jwat:lol: still it looks fairly good , apart from what appears to be a non std nb mounting (shades of DFI) & an apparent lack of usb ports.

Hopefully 5 phase power will be enough for pushing quadcores.

What's your definition of "pushing quadcores"?

I ask because I just put together an HTPC (of sorts...) for a friend with an IP35 Pro and Q6600. Haven't bothered to clock it yet, I'm honestly not sure if I'm going to though it will be connected to a projection screen and be used for gaming.

24/7 use - 3.8+

Prime stable - 3.6+

..shouldn't those be sort of the same thing?

In any case, I'll probably just go for 3.0-3.2 since I really don't want to remount the heatsink I put on there. I used an Ultra 120 which seems real nice, but it took a few tries to get it on right and it shows in temps, one chip runs around 7C warmer than the other. Not a big deal for our purposes, but I intend to limit any voltage increase to the bare minimum.

Good chance of seeing 3.0-3.2 with no or minimal voltage increase.

As for as the 24/7 Prime thing to some it might be the same. But the reality is quadcores have changed what is acceptable stability somewhat. There is absolutely no program that the average user runs that will stress a quad and the supporting board components like 4 threads of Prime blend does.

As a standard to compare to Prime is still the best we have. But for 24/7 stability it's use is kinda like running your car for 6 hours straight at 140 mph to be guaranteed it can make the trip to the corner store.

Have you tried selectively tightening the securing bolts.??

Assuming cores are :-

0 2

1 3

try tightening the bolt a half turn on the corner near the hottest core , i'm on water but use the same principal, got about 4~5C diff now.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes 7x500 on air more or less out the box ain't a bad start.:)

Have you tried selectively tightening the securing bolts.??

Assuming cores are :-

0 2

1 3

try tightening the bolt a half turn on the corner near the hottest core , i'm on water but use the same principal, got about 4~5C diff now.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes 7x500 on air more or less out the box ain't a bad start.:)

The bolts on the Ultra 120 have stops on them, they were cranked all the way to the stops prior to even booting the machine. Actually it's a pretty fair amount of pressure, I could still twist the sink slightly but it's big enough not much torque would be needed. No big deal, it's more than cool enough (~35-40C average) so I don't really care that much at the moment. And that's with the fan practically off.

Is that the Ultra or the extreme?? I had an ultra a while back b4 i moved to water, Thought they still turned but the old grey cells may be playing tricks:lol: That's pretty cool then in more ways than 1:lol:

Got an ultima 90 i wanna try on the abit barebones b4 i try it on water.

Luck:)