Is it worth it?

I have a ASUS A7V266 - E/AA.

Socket 462 (A)

Question is, I am setting this up for my 6 year old son. so he will leave mine alone :)

Anyway, what is the highest processor that will work with this mobo? I dont need anything fancy, but I would like it to be fast. If someone could show me the specs for this board, I would appreciate it.

I also ran across some 3dfx vodoo 5's. And some NVIDIA video graphics card. The 3dfx's have 2 fans on them, question is, are they better than the NVIDIA for what they were back then?

I also ran across some tv tuners, DSL modems, cable modems, card readers (memory) for cameras and etc.

What type of processor do I need to run the tuners, whats the lowest?

Thanks in advance for any help.

KnightMetal :cool:

Voodoo's sadly don't have enough support for even basic games that have come out recently. Yes they where faster when 3dfx was alive.

Um cheak Asus' site for the cpu support I believe it was a 2700+ t-bred A.

You would be looking at an Athlon XP Model 8 (Throughbread) +2600 or down to a +1600. Maybe even an old Duron. Be careful because a XP Model 10 (Barton) won't work, even though they have the same number designations. You need a 266mz front side bus processor not a 333mz one. Finding that may be hard. You can look on e-bay, but to me that is pretty much a crapshoot. I am 0-2 at the bay on Athlon XP's. First one (XP+2200) was used and then did not work properly, second one was new (XP+2600), but the guy sent me a XP+2500. I finally got a XP+2800 Barton from the egg, but that was two years ago. My advice is that it's not worth it. Go to New Egg and get a cheep Socket AM2 board and CPU with some DDR2 memory and you will be light years ahead. I am using my Socket A machine as I type this, still a good surfer, but won't stand up to my Athlon64 and Core2Quad machines.

You would be looking at an Athlon XP Model 8 (Throughbread) +2600 or down to a +1600. Maybe even an old Duron. Be careful because a XP Model 10 (Barton) won't work, even though they have the same number designations. You need a 266mz front side bus processor not a 333mz one. Finding that may be hard. You can look on e-bay, but to me that is pretty much a crapshoot. I am 0-2 at the bay on Athlon XP's. First one (XP+2200) was used and then did not work properly, second one was new (XP+2600), but the guy sent me a XP+2500. I finally got a XP+2800 Barton from the egg, but that was two years ago. My advice is that it's not worth it. Go to New Egg and get a cheep Socket AM2 board and CPU with some DDR2 memory and you will be light years ahead. I am using my Socket A machine as I type this, still a good surfer, but won't stand up to my Athlon64 and Core2Quad machines.

Thank you very much, you answered everything I needed to know.