Legal Movie / TV Show sources

ReelFiles

I don't have an HD capable TV, so I don't know about getting spoiled by HD. I am talking about standard definition broadcasts on a standard definition TV. It just looks worse to me for the last few years.

I mentioned Discovery channel, because I really like those underwater shows with crystal clear water and multicolored fish. The best is when the camera pans up toward he surface with the sun refracting off the waves, that is one of my favorite views. That has now been spoiled badly by horrible compression; the pixelation just kills the beautiful view.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I think is that we are getting a scaled up pictuer. Like 480p - 720p/1080i. My over-the-air HD looks better then my cable! Now that is just not right! I will watch the late show on CBS and flip between my cable and over-the-air, and I can see the difference. Over-the-air is so much better. I do stream all my over-the-air content through my pc to my xbox360, so I dont know if that makes a difference in the picture or not. I am going to drop my cable in the next month or so. I just have to find a new ISP befor that point.

Most of this depends on the cable company, some on the quality of cable you are using to feed your TV. My cable company doesn't encrypt local hd channels, so my TV tuner picks them up for free. I might give OTA a try again just to compare the 2.... hopefully I won't tell the difference (Rabbit ears = PITA)

I have never had a problem with over-the-air HD. Its way better then SD over-the-air. I get 18 HD channel over-the-air 4-1, 4-2, 6-1, 10-1 through 7, 18-1, 24-1, 30-1, 36-1, 50-1, 55-1, 58-1, and 58-2. All of thoughs channels are cristal clear. And thats through an indoor anttena. O one more thing...FREE! :cool:

Yeah I was thinking that I might go that route once my trial with Time Warner is up. I am not sure how many channels I will get in my area though. Back on Long Island you were lucky to get anything besides channel 55 in with rabbit ears, maybe a Connecticut station here and there.

• 5 months later...

Been watching Bones on hulu.com almost every night, great site and who cares about 30s of commercials, better than live TV commercials. They are even getting some shows in 480p now, usually they are 360p.

Joost was pretty cool last time I checked it out. Lately I've been hitting up hulu.com daily. I even manage to watch a show or two over my work's craptacular wireless. It works so-so at work; connection craps out sometimes or IE locks up, but at home it runs smooth and the shows don't look bad at all, quality wise. I've even caught a couple of episodes in 480P rather than the standard 360. I think I read that they are gonna add some more of the higher quality videos soon too.

Edit:

Duh, just read that I posted the same crap a bit up, lol.