unplugged unsafely, now not recognized.. is it dead?

ReelFiles

Man this sucks, I was in a hurry leaving for work today, so I yanked my 1gb flash drive out of my rig, without 'safely removing hardware'. I've done that a million times before in Windows, but this time it was in ubuntu.

When I got to work and I wanted to run some stress tests on laptops off the flash drive. It just kept coming up as 'not recognized USB device'. I am pretty sure it's fubared, but I still got some hope. I tried plugging it back into the Linux rig at home too, but nada. Neither in Windows or Linux does the activity light blink.

I also happened to have the flash drive in my pocket while I got electrocuted by a LCD inverter, early in the day. Slim chance but that might have something to do with it too. It was a tiny shock, but strong enough to burn a tiny hole in my finger. I was wearing a ground strap too, :rolleyes:

I was wondering if the firmware got killed on it and if there was a way to re-flash it, or if there is some sort of driver to make this thing recognized. It's a 1gb Micro Center, the numbers on it are G01G, presumably the model number or MF2690031 which I think is just the serial number.

I have the micro cruiser. did that with mine. and one day it also quit working. I aways just yanked it out. there was nothing i could do with it. them one day i went to there web site and seen an uninstaller for U3 or what ever it is and uninstalled U3 and reformatted it and its works grate now

This is weird, I plugged it back in after downloading the ipsg flash drive utility and it started working again, without me even using the utility. I tried it on ubuntu again and now it won't work once again. The utility won't work if the system won't recognize the drive. I'll let it sit for a while and see if it works on it's own again. I won't use it on the ubuntu rig anymore.