Dual Core = Dual Temperature??

Hi DFIers,

I had a CPU temperature problem which was discussed here...

http://www.diy-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67419

I was suggested coretemp by oc newbie and on installing it, i now could see 'two' temperatures of the two cores.

ITE Smartguardian does not do that.

Also, the polling rate of both the reporting programs are different, so the average is not always accurate.

Now i see a difference of nearly 9C :confused: Is that normal or is there a problem and i must ask for a replacement?

Please help.

dual_core_dual_temp.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both SmartGuardian and MBM5 measure the on-board CPU Temperature Sensor while CoreTemp measures the DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor).

They are not the SAME thing and don't expect them to read the same.

Core Temp is a kewl program but can give erroneous info when reading the 939 cpus. From TheCoolest's thread, Post #3:

Hello guys.

First of all I want to make something clear:

This feature was unofficial until the RevF AM2 CPUs, so I wouldn't take all readings you get from older chips as granted, as the DTS* could be off or not callibrated properly, I've seen a lot of dual core chips where the temp difference between the cores would be like 12C, and one of them would report sub-ambient temps :D

I think that in the majority of cases it is pretty much accurate, though.

Regarding how it calculates temperature on AMDs, Intel complicated things quite a bit with their chips, AMD kept it pretty straight forward. Just read a value from a register, substruct 49 from that value and you have the temperature in C.

The temperature can range between -49 and 206C, at least in Rev F. I don't know if in earlier chips its the same, but I'm assuming it is.

Another thing I noticed, sometimes, in sub-zero temperatures it'd show much lower temps than what MBM5 and the likes report, I don't know which of the two programs is more accurate, but it is possible that the DTS loses its accuracy when temps get really low.

*DTS = Digital Thermal Sensor.

This I hope answers some questions that arise, when starting to use the program

Hi soundx98,

I was trying out different options available because of the below problems...

a) Once i enter the password and hit enter (win XP logon), i log in and in a span of 10 seconds, the computer restarts. When logged in the second time, its stable.

B) The bios shows 44C. WinXP shows approx 40C (soon after logon) and it comes down to 34C after running idle for a minute or so.

c) When i run two instances of prime95, the temps rise to 50C.

Given this scenario, do i have a chance to overclock at all :sad:

I went through various threads here and below are some cues i picked up...

AMD Driver & Optimizer.

I have installed the recent AMD WinXP Driver and then went ahead and installed the dual core optimizer. As advised in many posts, i have not run the MS Hotfix as the recent AMD drivers do everything.

Bios settings.

The are set to optimized defaults.

Power connectors on the DFI board.

All the 4 connectors in place from day one.

External USB Devices conflict.

I have no USB devices on the system.

Temperature tracking s/w conflict.

Uninstalled all the sofwares tracking temperatures (smart guardian, core temp, everest). Still both the problems remain.

Automatic Restart.

Unchecked the 'Restart Automatically' option in Advanced Options.

Right now, i am not worrying about the restarting. My worry is the temps. Is 50C with dual instances of prime normal for a stock Opteron 180 (room temp at 24C)? :confused:

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

That 50c on stock dont look right at all. Have you tried reseating your heatsink? Make suret to clean the cpu ihs and the heatsink contact surface with a cleaner like the 2 step ArctiClean, or you can use a 91% Isoprophyl Alcohol. I have used both and they do clean well. Have you tried comparing temps on a different heatsink if avialable? I had a TT BT once before but the first one I had had some flaws on the contact surface so I took it back to where I got it and they let me open the plastic to see for myself and choose which one I wanted, and it performed really well with my Conroe at 1.48 under load.

50c with a BT ant right ether mine clocked to 2850 don't see 50c.in core temp or ITE . sounds like to much AS5 to me. I got 6 PCs with 6 BTs set to come on full at 26c as i look around i dont see one fan on . Ive never had core temp to do me wrong. its the only thing that cant be f---ed with. so every reading should be the same. more stander them anything since it reads off the cpu sensor. the first time i seen a 939 bios that had setting to off set your temp reading i stop comparing peoples temps. I know what it should look like in ITE and Coretemp and thats what i use. get ver 9.4

an 8C difference is common... I've even seen a few reports of more... a lot of times it's the contact between the ihs and the core.... nothing you can do about that without voiding your warranty. do as suggested and re-apply your heatsink, with just a little dab of AS5 (about a grain of rice size) in the middle of the IHS... see if that cures your load temp problem...

Hi soundx98,

I was trying out different options available because of the below problems...

a) Once i enter the password and hit enter (win XP logon), i log in and in a span of 10 seconds, the computer restarts. When logged in the second time, its stable.

Generally this is either RAM timing or if overclocked at all the cpu may need just a bit more voltage. Unfortunately Optimized Defaults don't always work, check the DIY-street OCDB (Overclocking DataBase) for a similar rig (I know Praz has entries with Mushkin Redlines) http://www.diy-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

or contact Mushkin support (great help) for suggestions. Sometimes just swapping the RAM from one orange DRAM Socket to the other sorts it out. (I am assuming you have run MemTest on the modules as you sound very knowledgeable. I usually bang Tests #5 and #8 for about 4 hours each). Make sure all FOUR Power Supply connections are plugged in the board - 24 pin ATX, P1-4pin next to it, The 4-pin Molex AND the 4-pin floppy (near top GPU pcie-x).

I hope like hale that's not an Antec 480 TrueBlue as about 50% of them had issues. What is the exact PSU you are using?

Don't assume that your XP install is OK. A clean re-install of XP (without Video drivers and all the other crap) can help determine is a program or driver is causing these restarts.

B) The bios shows 44C. WinXP shows approx 40C (soon after logon) and it comes down to 34C after running idle for a minute or so.

When in the BIOS screen the CPU is NOT at Idle, it's typically a higher temp.

Once Windoze loads it will read lower and after a minute or two (after everything has loaded) it will decrease further and I consider Idle after 3 minutes of doing nothing. So I don't think your temps are crazy. Pretty hot during the summer and the inside case temp may very well be higher than

the ambient temp of the room.

c) When i run two instances of prime95, the temps rise to 50C.

Prime 95 runs the CPU to it's max. Like making the CPU run a Marathon. Hitting 50C is more than typical when Overclocked (even a little). I'd have to agree with the other guys though and suggest a re-mount of the HSF after a good cleaning of the thermal paste and then a correct application of TIM of choice.

Be very careful mounting the HSF as this is an extremely important process! And use SP2004 Orthos instead of Prime 95 (same app, different GUI) as you will need to use Orthos when you do get it OC'd and want to place an entry in the OCDB.

Given this scenario, do i have a chance to overclock at all :sad:

I went through various threads here and below are some cues i picked up...

AMD Driver & Optimizer.

I have installed the recent AMD WinXP Driver and then went ahead and installed the dual core optimizer. As advised in many posts, i have not run the MS Hotfix as the recent AMD drivers do everything.

Bios settings.

The are set to optimized defaults.

Power connectors on the DFI board.

All the 4 connectors in place from day one.

Make sure the are seated properly. Just pull them out and reconnect for us :)

Do you have any other devices connected to the 12V lead going into the Molex and Floppy connections (HDDs, Fans, Opticals)? Try and put them on a different lead.

External USB Devices conflict.

I have no USB devices on the system.

Temperature tracking s/w conflict.

Uninstalled all the sofwares tracking temperatures (smart guardian, core temp, everest). Still both the problems remain.

Automatic Restart.

Unchecked the 'Restart Automatically' option in Advanced Options.

What's the Blue Screen of Death display for information?

Right now, i am not worrying about the restarting. My worry is the temps. Is 50C with dual instances of prime normal for a stock Opteron 180 (room temp at 24C)? :confused:

Have you tried assembling the rig out of the case? At stock you are running hot.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Sorry for a lot of suggestions but I know that feeling of bile in your gut when issues arrive. Have you tried giving the rig a good biatch-slap to straighten it out? :D

Praz has a real nice thread on Stability testing (link below my sig).

Thank you very much for your patience fellow diyers :)

I did take out the BigTyphoon and reseat it... two rice grains... n a bit of the oozed out AS5

rice_grains.jpg

Reseating the BT is a real pain in the butt, need to be very careful, else its a cantilever waiting to rip your mobo off.

Now, i could not reason it out, but the restarting problem has not occurred till now.

But, the temps are still up there.

I've given special attention to powering the mobo like soundx98 advised. Also, its NOT a antec true blue (neways, i'll deal with the temp problem for now).

soundx98,

longer the suggestion, better the digestion. Could'nt slap her cos, she's got this sub 2 KG rotating mass on the processor :D

Guest navinjohnson

You might be able to get some overclocking done. The temp won't rise much as long as you don't raise the vcore. These CPUs are rated up to 65C. Most guys on here will tell you to stay 15 below that at 50C, but creeping up to 52C or 53C isn't going to be that bad.

I verified the temps after running orthos.... it still reads 48C. Will i be able to over clock this system at all? :(

What kind of airflow are you getting through your case? A big heatsink isn't going to do much if cool air isn't getting to it.