Opteron 165 on NF4 Sli Infinity issues

I'll try adding some voltage see how that changes things.

Thanks for the help WR6X, I'll pm you in two weeks to remind you of the timings :).

EDIT: Upped the voltage to 1.4v. Runs stable now (I'll run it for 8hrs to be sure)! Thanks :)

Hopefully, I'll get my Corsair 520HX tomorrow and try shooting for 2.7Ghz!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm happy to say it's stable after 8hrs of Orthos now!

As it turns out, I had the voltage increased when I did the first test but forgot about that when I wrote my first post and said it's stable @ 2400Mhz with stock voltage.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

also, another tip here.

with Orthos you have the option to pick the type of stress test, CPU only, CPU and Ram (blend test we all use), Ram only. anyway.......

what I do to test where the instability is coming from is to isolate the stress testing to CPU only and Ram only on separate runs, this will tell you which is the culprit, CPU or Ram....once you find the weak link you can then formulate a plan..........

this is pretty much the general plan for clocking anyway.........

glad to hear it is running solid now...

laterz..

I'll try adding some voltage see how that changes things.

Thanks for the help WR6X, I'll pm you in two weeks to remind you of the timings :).

Your welcome. Glad to hear it's stable now. In two weeks I should be home. But it's o.k. to remind me by pm. (I've been away from home, and wife, for allmost five months, so first thing won't be searching ramtimings.........:D)

So after calling it stable @ 2430Mhz I tried 280x9=2520Mhz which was unstable @1.45V (failed Orthos in 10min) and 1.5V (failed in 50min).

I wanted to go higher on the voltage, but my PSU started to "squeak" @ 1.5V! I think I'm getting to it's limits... I don't really care anyway, as tomorrow I'm receiving my Corsair 520HX which I ordered today and hopefully stuff will start to change! I really want to see 2.7 stable and maybe go even higher for an OCDB entry.

I'll be back with new info and questions as my project unfolds.

BTW, I still have my old 3000+, I'll probably try burning that one to a crisp at one point just to see how far it gets :D;)

Just got my Corsair 520HX today! What a beauty!

I first though the unsleeved hard wires are bad, but then I realized I can shape them any way I want in my case. Nice cable management!

Anyway, first thing I did was try 300x9 on a 133 divider. Well, it didn't work, got locked during the RAID screen at boot again! I tried increasing the voltages to 1.6v for the cpu and 1.7v for the chipset (maximum)and still didn't work. :(

I lowered to 280x9 @ 1.6v. This time it booted, but failed Orthos very fast, something like 3 minutes... During this time the temperature diode showed 47C and the cores were at about 50.

I'll try a bit higher, as from what I see from the link WR6X provided, my stepping can do 3ghz at about 1.6V on air. That's why I think it's very strange that mine won't even boot at 2700 on 1.6v!

My guess is that the memory might be the problem. Or I might have a bad sample...

"My guess is that the memory might be the problem. Or I might have a bad sample..."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

as i alluded to in an earlier post, Orthos can run CPU only stress or Ram only stress, you can isolate the weak link by running a separate stress test on the CPU and ram, thus pinpointing the weak link for clocking purposes.....

do this and you will find your parameters, right now all you are doing is a little this and a little that with no plan...

dividers are your friend...

laterz...

What bldegle2 says above is one option.

Maybe you can try these settings for your mem:

CAS# latency (Tcl) [2.5]

Min RAS# active time (Tras) [8T]

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) [4T]

Row precharge Time (Trp) [4T]

Row cycle time (Trc) [12T]

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) [16T]

Read-to-Write time (Trwt) [4T]

Write Recovery time (Twr) [3T]

1T/2T Memory Timing [1T]

Or else set your mem to 100 MHz divider first. Then you are just testing your CPU. And I don't think your chipset need so much juice....

And using memtest might be handy.....

I set the divider to 100 and used the timings WR6X shared in his previous post (thanks man!). Considering the memory was running DDR300, it should be a influence on stability anymore? Right?

The good news is that it finally boots at 300Mhz HTT but the bad news is that it fails Orthos in a miserable few seconds. I tried vcore 1.5V, 1.55V and 1.6V. Same result! :(

Should I go higher on the voltage?

I should also mentioned I changed my case today to an Antec 900 which dropped the temps by quite a few degrees :D

"300Mhz HTT but the bad news is that it fails Orthos in a miserable few seconds"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

yeah, progress....i still don't see whether you ran the CPU only and Ram only tests in Orthos. you keep refering to failing Orthos, however, i suspect you are running the blend test only, if you run the separate tests on CPU only and ram only you will be surprised at some of the results............

and you will pinpoint the problem area.....

step by step if you want solid results...

laterzzzzzz.....

I'll see your reminder pm for the rest of the timings in a week or so. Will be offline for the next days till I'm home.

Goodluck for now. (And try the cpu and ram test, as is adviced above)