Opteron 165 on NF4 Sli Infinity issues

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm home at last.....

You have a PM.

Seems that your mem isn't the problem. So it's your cpu. What temps are you reading when it's stress testing?

I hope to build in my opty 185 this week......

Update on the situation:

I decided to scrap the memory! (that means putting them in my sister's PC :P)

I got a pair of handpicked 1GB Transcend DDR400 sticks from a trading forum. They have Micron chips and after testing them 1:1 with the CPU and they are able to do 250Mhz with 2.5-3-3-7 timings.

Right now this is what I'm running:

300Mhz HTT

3x HT

1.475V on the CPU (I'll go down, just wanted to make sure it boots)

Mem: 166Mhz div (running DDR500 with all the timings set manually)

So I finally reached 2700Mhz :D! Yay!

Future plans:

1. Reapply thermal paste! (I had to remove the cooler when I changed the memory and I didn't have any more AS5 si I had to "reuse" what was already on the CPU and heatsink)

2. Get heatsinks for the memory (Do I really need them? Need advice here please.)

3. Go for broke: 3Ghz!

Nice job.... Did you change anything else? Or just the mem?

I mean, did you change any settings for your cpu?

Good luck with your new quest.... for 3GHz

Off topic: My opty 185 is up and running. 3003 MHz @ 1.34Vcore.... FSB 231x13

I set up the memory timings in a very crude, primitive and really risky way (I was too lazy to do it manually). What I did was set the primary timings and dividers by hand, let all the other settings on auto, test the memories in memtest (they passed), then booted WinXP, ran Orthos for 8hrs (passed), fired up A64info, copied all the timings from there (they seem pretty tight) and then finally, entered all the settings by hand in the BIOS. I did all this at 250Mhz HTT with the memories running 1:1 (1.35v CPU and 2.7v mem).

I got pretty lucky as I didn't have to tweak anything to get the sticks stable @250:)

I finally found time to go buy some Arctic Silver as the "backup TIM" (Thermalright Chill Factor) started to miss-fire and the system crashed (@stock freqs) after about 1hr of HL2 (!?!). Strange enough, the temps were too low to be called overheating (<40C). Anyway, got back to AS5 and everything is back to normal.

I have my hands full with exams now so I'll postpone the 3Ghz pursuit for a bit...

its <40 when you get to measure it, they lose temp quick on a a64 freezer. oc'ing that core stepping on air is tough, because they go far BUT run HOT.

Change out the stock fan on the freezer and put on a high performance one, should help cool it down. during orthos i bet your probably hitting a lot more than 40. whats the temp in bios when the computer is just sitting there? if its above 38 then it's heat probably. mine does 2.7 on air stock vcore but my stepping runs cooler.. also if you used the origional thermal pad for the a64, it's probably chunky dust now, get some as5 maybe?

It's on Arctic Silver 5 now and stable again :)

I will definitely go for better cooling. I'm thinking of a Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme for the cpu and some copper sinks for the memory chips :D , but I can't make up my mind on a decent fan for it...

Any ideas for the fans guys?

• 6 months later...

Hi guys,

It's been awhile since I posted here. I was busy finishing my university studies and thank God, I'm done. Just the final exam and then I'm going to be a Physics Engineer with a diploma in Laser Technologies. Weee, totally useless in Romania :(

Anyway, this means I finally have some time go get back to toasting the Opty...

Since last time I was asking around for advice I did some changes to my rig:

1. I got a Sapphire 3870 after a month of hunting it down through the gray forest that is the Romanian online IT retail sector. The 8800GT was impossible to find in the Holiday Season.

2. Ditched the A64 Pro for a bigger cooler, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. Big and somewhat silent...

Last time I tried, I managed to run Orthos' CPU test for 8 hours @2700Mhz, so I was under the impression it was stable, yet games kept crashing and crashing after no more than 20 minutes of playing, so I was forced to go back to 250HTT and 1:1 divider.

Now that I got the big cooler, I went back to 2700Mhz, same settings as before:

HTT 300, HTT multi 3x, 1.6V cpu

Memory: 166 divider, 2.7V

Chipset: 1.6V

Orthos' CPU test managed to run for about 10 seconds after which the system crashed.

I lowered the HTT to 290 and tried again. This time Orthos worked for 10 seconds, then errors started to appear.

I went even lower to 285 HTT. This time Orthos seemed to work well but I stopped it: one core was at 51C and one at 72C (!?!?!)

I think one core is acting up and that might cause the instabilities I get.

Now the big question:

Should I remove the IHS? Will "going naked" mean more even core temps?

Normally if orthos craches quickly its mem settings(which I think you already understand). Also I have an opteron and recently was doing more OC'ing and having issues. I reread the dual core opteron thread and many people pointed out that max async latency and read preamble are cruical settings on opterons, I found for me that 10.0/7.0 was the only combo that worked, others found 11.0/8.0,10.0/7.5,10.0/7.0 ect.. worked well for the memory controller. Sometimes more mem voltage helps or sometimes a different divider or a different bios will help.

The DTS sensor for those core temps may not be accurate, but its is for some. What does mbm5 read the temp as? There have been a few where the IHS was not attached right from the factory and had temps like that. I removed mine(its kinda nerve racking as I sliped a little and others have ruined there cpu's)

Thanks for the tips on the async latencies. I'll try them as soon as I get home.

I'll post some mbm5 temps also.

I just realized that I can't remove the IHS on the CPU. The reason is the new cooler I got, which has its 3 heatpipes in direct contact with the IHS. Removing the IHS will only leave the center heatpipe in direct contact with the core, the other two will not be touching anything :((

do you have a XIGMATEK S1283?Edit read your sig I was looking at those recently, they do good but I have removed my IHS and didnt think it would work well.

The other day(since my HS is a clip on and not sure about how it holds up w/o the IHS) I tried to put my IHS back on but the tems were very high at idle so I took it back off and reseated it. I prob should read about others that have put it back on, but for now I'll just keep my xp-90 and no IHS

I also wanted to add that sp2004 is NOT a guarantee that its stable, some times people find that 3d applications like games or some 3dmark benchmarks will still fail after sp2004 passes for 8 hours. I would think that this is memory related. Also I dont think you should need that much cpu voltage to run at 2700(but it could be the motherboard differences), my chip is not great and will do 2700 at 1.525-1.55V