SLI & RAID support?

puzzled

That was the best I could do. I tried to save it to floppy, but there's an internal error. I tried to copy, but as soon as you leave that program, it wont paste in to the browser. There's just way too much there to type.

I guess what frustrates me the most is that with XP it was just F6 & a floppy to set up RAID. It shouldn't be this hard to set up hardware correctly.

I settled on Mint for the laptop. So far, so good. It loaded the OS & then updated itself. All of the plug-ins for Firefox loaded w/o being asked, or having to be added manually. The only question is will the wireless work? I'm going to try it out in a public WIFI area tonight. If it works, then I would definitely recommend the OS to another newbie.

I did add Mint to an older PC that I assembled recently from old parts laying about. The OS had no problem with the SATA hard drive or any of the other hardware present. It works like a champ on that system, but again, it's not a RAID set up.

I'm really surprised to find there isn't a distro that combines what Fedora offers (partitioning for RAID during set up), & what Mint offers (video card usability from CD). Fedora loads the NV SATA driver, & then sees the (2) 80GB HD's as (1) 160 GB HD. It then goes to a scrambled screen on reboot after loading the OS. The video drivers aren't adequate. On the other hand, Mint sees (2) 80 GB HD's, but will only load the OS to one of them. It doesn't do RAID set up, but it can load the proper video drivers after reboot when loading the OS. I wonder when someone will combine both features to CD/DVD?

I managed to figure out how to copy & paste the error report. I have no idea what any of this means.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 950, in handleRenderCallback

self.currentWindow.renderCallback()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 250, in renderCallback

self.intf.icw.nextClicked()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 867, in nextClicked

self.dispatch.gotoNext()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 140, in gotoNext

self.moveStep()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 208, in moveStep

rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 103, in turnOnFilesystems

thefsset.createLogicalVolumes(instPath)

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line 1477, in createLogicalVolumes

entry.device.setupDevice(chroot)

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line 2080, in setupDevice

raise SystemError, "pvcreate failed for %s" % (volume,)

SystemError: pvcreate failed for

I managed to figure out how to copy & paste the error report. I have no idea what any of this means.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 950, in handleRenderCallback

self.currentWindow.renderCallback()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/iw/progress_gui.py", line 250, in renderCallback

self.intf.icw.nextClicked()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/gui.py", line 867, in nextClicked

self.dispatch.gotoNext()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 140, in gotoNext

self.moveStep()

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/dispatch.py", line 208, in moveStep

rc = apply(func, self.bindArgs(args))

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/packages.py", line 103, in turnOnFilesystems

thefsset.createLogicalVolumes(instPath)

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line 1477, in createLogicalVolumes

entry.device.setupDevice(chroot)

File "/opt/anaconda/usr/lib/anaconda/fsset.py", line 2080, in setupDevice

raise SystemError, "pvcreate failed for %s" % (volume,)

SystemError: pvcreate failed for

That is a crash from the "installer helper" tool that you are using which is called Anaconda, my suggestion is to manually setup your partition and arrays from the command line as there is a bug with the GUI installer.

the tool you will use to create the arrays is called,.. MDADM

You're right about the installer. It's also the same problem that is present on Gentoo 2007.0. I was looking in to the RAID feature of the installer, & came up with a curious option. It allows you to load the OS on to one HD, & then copy it to the second HD to create the RAID array. I thought that might be the solution. I disconnected the NVIDIA RAID option in the BIOS, & then tried to load the OS to a single HD. The installer crashed again. I then tried to load Gentoo, but the installer on that distro doesn't have the RAID feature. The installer also crashed on that distro. It looks like Anaconda is buggy. I'm going to disconnect one HD, & then do some research in to formatting the other HD manually. Hopefully I can format the one HD, & then the installer will allow me to use the feature to create a RAID array from the first HD.

follow my gentoo guide here on this forum, and at the section were you would create your partitions, create them however you want.

example, here is my first drive setup with 4 partitions.

Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 1 4 32098+ fd Linux raid autodetect

/dev/sda2 5 491 3911827+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sda3 492 29062 229496557+ fd Linux raid autodetect

/dev/sda4 29063 30401 10755517+ fd Linux raid autodetect

notice the "fd"? well that's the partition type for a Linux RAID partition.

after you have setup this first drive scheme, you can copy the whole partition table to other drives by running the following command.

sfdisk -d /dev/sda | sfdisk /dev/sdb

command above copies the partition scheme from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb, this

saves you the time spend making the partitions by hand.

now that your partitions are setup, you need to figure out what RAID level you want to run. if you plan on running RAID0 you would type

modprobe raid0

for raid4,5 or 6

modprobe raid456

this example assumes you are setting up a raid1 mirror array for /boot, since /boot can't be on any array that's stripped.with 4 hard drives.

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1 /dev/sdc1 /dev/sdd1

this one is setting up a raid6 for your root partition "/" on 4 hard drives

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md1 --level=6 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda3 /dev/sdb3 /dev/sdc3 /dev/sdd3

now a raid0 stripped for the remaining partition space, which i suggest you setup LVM2 on.

mdadm --create --verbose /dev/md2 --level=0 --raid-devices=4 /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4

after you can check the status of the raid arrays with.

cat /proc/mdstat

or

watch -n1 $(cat /proc/mdstat)

and when your system is setup, you can save your array information so that the mdadm utility knows how to start your arrays.

mdadm --detail --scan >> /etc/mdadm.conf

after this is all done, just continue with the guide as normal, and at the part where you would setup your /etc/fstab. instead of /dev/sda1 for /boot, you would use /dev/md0. your swap partitions don't need to be raid arrays, as you can just let the linux kernel handle the stripping for you. a sample /etc/fstab with a swap setup on 4 drives would look like this.

/dev/sda2 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0

/dev/sdb2 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0

/dev/sdc2 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0

/dev/sdd2 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0

before you reboot after finishing my guide, make sure you added RAID support in the "Device Drivers" section of the kernel.

I plan on adding RAID,LVM,DM-CRYPT to the guide soon, I'm just lazy, now... :D

Being an absolute newbie, I have no idea what to do with all that. :) I did however try a trial version of Xandros Pro 4.1 yesterday. Drum roll please It immediately recognized the NVIDIA chipset & the RAID array!! So, I was able to install the OS to an array. Now the only thing left is to find out if the video cards are in SLI or not. Any suggestions on how to discover this?