Numerous Problems

Guest Haven_merged

Guest Haven

I'm not a moron, but I'll admit I need help here, a lot of help.

On thursday (19th of April) Windows did not boot, I had done nothing to my PC, nothing. I turn it on and I'm met with a happy little Windows Error stating that hal.DLL is missing. First I tried a repair, then I got the Missing ntldr.dll error. I then tried a fresh install of Windows XP on a BRAND NEW 160GB WD Caviar. Once install I downloaded some updates from Microsoft, did the restart it requested, Error missing hal.dll file. This is where Haven got pissed. Once again I tried repaired, checked out the drive in Knoppix, Ubuntu Ultimate, PHLAK. Still nothing. So I reinstalled Windows XP again. This time everything went smoothly, got all my updates, SP2, even managed to play a little BF2. Now, as I type this my Seagate 200GB (backup files) IDE HDD is "detected" but is said to have no format. Well, I've had a problem like this before and I simply ran one of those Seagate programs and it works fine. NOPE! Apparently I have 137GB's of RAW data and 57GB's of NTFS. My final issue is my BRAND NEW Lite-ON DVD Burner/CD Burner. Worked fine on my old install of XP, but now If I run a CD in it (I.E my DFI CD) my desktop just freezes every ten seconds or so and the installation of ITE Smart Guardian took about 10 minutes (!)

I'm sorry for the long post, I'm desperate, all my important backup files, customer information, passwords, bank information is saved on this Seagate. I am almost to the point where I will donate money to anyone who has any idea of how to help me.

:confused: :confused: :confused: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Your system looks pretty solid to me. Now that you have tried other hard drives, it leads me to believe that it could be the board. Have you tried other system drivers? I myself have gotten lucky so far with the six dfi boards I built, I'm sure there is someone here in the community that had the same problem like what you are having and be able to help you out.:)