Internal tuners

puzzled

I just learned something this week that many sales people wont tell you, or don't know. Just because you have a HD set with an internal tuner doesn't mean you can get every channel available. We have 2 new HD sets in the house now. The Visio Plasma gets X amount of channels. The Samsung LCD gets X + 8 channels. The Visio wouldn't go above 106, the Samsung goes in to the 116's. Same signal, different results. Though if it wasn't for the Samsung, we wouldn't know we were being short-changed by the Visio.

I just learned something this week that many sales people wont tell you, or don't know. Just because you have a HD set with an internal tuner doesn't mean you can get every channel available. We have 2 new HD sets in the house now. The Visio Plasma gets X amount of channels. The Samsung LCD gets X + 8 channels. The Visio wouldn't go above 106, the Samsung goes in to the 116's. Same signal, different results. Though if it wasn't for the Samsung, we wouldn't know we were being short-changed by the Visio.

Generally any higher channel would require a cable box to decode though, so I'd imagine this would be a non-issue for most people.

Of course it is something to look into though, if you intend on running an internal tuner.

I doubt salespeople purposely keep this information from you to deceive you. Rather, 75 cents over minimum wage doesn't give them much incentive to go out there and become an informed employee.

Internal tuners can be quite good. The tuner in my Sony A2000 wipes the floor with my $100 PCI tuner as far as handling funky reception and multipath issues.

Most of the channels you can't get because your internal tuner won't let you would be viewable through some sort of decoder box, as technodanvan said. :)

Generally any higher channel would require a cable box to decode though, so I'd imagine this would be a non-issue for most people.

Of course it is something to look into though, if you intend on running an internal tuner.

I'm not exactly following you. The same signal gives different results. Even internal tuners with cable card capability don't work 100% either. You may get the same results again with a cable card in place, missing channels.

• 6 months later...

hi - i just got a xbr4 32 inch for my bedroom and i tried a hdtv antenna - i picked up nothing at all ?? once i ran the search for Digital channels and picked up 3 i think - which all looked horrible - i returned the antenna and never tired it again - so for me a hdtv tuner in my tv is useless

dont know if its the tv tuner or i just dont have a good signal path / antenna -

hi - i just got a xbr4 32 inch for my bedroom and i tried a hdtv antenna - i picked up nothing at all ?? once i ran the search for Digital channels and picked up 3 i think - which all looked horrible - i returned the antenna and never tired it again - so for me a hdtv tuner in my tv is useless

dont know if its the tv tuner or i just dont have a good signal path / antenna -

I don't know how far fromt he source you are, but I suspect tha tperhaps your TV is still in cable mode rather than antenna. You need to switch the tv to antenna, then do a search for digital channels... my dad bought a 46" xbr4 and had the same issue until i notcied that.

I don't know how far fromt he source you are, but I suspect tha tperhaps your TV is still in cable mode rather than antenna. You need to switch the tv to antenna, then do a search for digital channels... my dad bought a 46" xbr4 and had the same issue until i notcied that.

hi - thanks - that sounds like it could be something - i havnt a clue how to put the TV in either mode - there is just one RF to screw in to - you can either connect the cable line to that or a Antenna - if you want to connect both - you would need a A/B switch - i tried it both ways - but like you said - maybe i have to do something to the TV to put it in Antenna mode ?? would you know what i have to do - i dont have an Antenna to try it out but if i see that the TV can be put into Antenna mode somehow - maybe i go get another Antenna and try it again -

if you know how i can put it in Antenna mode - write back

i read the manual and didnt notice anything - i dont see anything in the Tv menus that mention Antenna mode etc. - but maybe i missed something --

thanks - and if you know which setting to go in the menu

let me know